Many thanks to my sister Melissa, who generously gifted me with Stephenie Meyer's Twilight Collection for Christmas this year. She told me time and time again that I would just absolutely *love* them...and I was sure that I would enjoy them -- when I finally got around to reading them. There are very few books out there I haven't enjoyed, after all! But I really didn't know much about the books, besides my sister just being (what seemed like) excessively eager to get me to read them. Christmas vacation, with Jesse home from work, presented a perfect time to delve into Twilight, though, putting aside more serious reading and other projects I had a mind to do. And yes, I was instantly hooked.
I've now read all three books (currently in the series) three times each. And I want to do it again. Like...right now. I can't really describe how captured I am by the characters. I'd have to go into long details about how experiences in my life help me relate Bella, the main character. Or how the intensity of a range of emotions portrayed within the books have helped me pull out of my own semi-persistent "blah" sort of mood towards my life. There is a passion in me now that I've been missing for a long time, I guess. And how on earth did three little books do that to me? I'm not sure. All I know is that the stories seem completely magical to me. I feel what the characters feel. I experience what they do. When I read the books, I am totally, 100% immersed into their lives and perspectives. And I just don't want to leave that when the book is done! I've found fan fiction to read. Extras and "outtakes" on the author's website. Forums where I can read what other fans are saying. There's a movie to look forward to, hopefully out at the end of 2008.
But one of the biggest impacts to me, outside of the books themselves, has been that Stephenie Meyer actually included "playlists" on her website - music that inspired her while she was writing these specific stories. It's been ages since I have listened to new music. At least 4 years, I guess, since I've purchased a new album for myself. I thought it was kind of a kooky idea to check out this music, but since I'm aching for more Twilight, I did it. My MP3 player that Jesse gave me for Christmas came with a free month subscription to Rhapsody, and I basically have unlimited free transfers of songs for the duration. So I found each of the songs that she included on her website, made one giant 56-song-long playlist, and stuck it on my MP3 player. And then I listened. And ya know what? I *love* this music. Who knew? A whole mix of bands I've never or hardly heard of (like Muse, Marjorie Fair, My Chemical Romance, Linkin Park (okay, that one I'm still getting used to...), Coldplay, and so on), and nearly all the songs included just really speak to me somehow...in genres I've never been exposed to before, or at least minimally exposed to (Rock, Brit Rock, and Alternative/Punk). But wow, I love this music! It's odd to say out loud, but it feels really thrilling to find new music- for me- that I really enjoy.
My Rhapsody "Twilight" Playlist (you can listen to 25 of them for free with a free account).
At any rate... all of this - the books, the music - make me feel oddly awake and aware of myself in a way I wasn't before. I LOVE it.
2 comments:
Wow, that's a glowing report. As I was reading what you had to say, I was wishing the author could read how her writing has touched one reader. I'm sure Melissa will be totally pleased that she has helped enrich your life. I read the books through Megan who graciously loaned them to me as she bought them one-by-one. I wish I had them to re-read myself.
HIP-HIP-HOORAY!!!!
I feel the EXACT same way as you do!!!!!!!
I just can't get enough of the characters, music and EVERYTHING else that comes along with reading those books!!
Glad I could help you feel all this sooner rather than later! It would have been later ya know!?!?!
Post a Comment