Every now and then, it's a nice thing to have new ideas for quiet activities for kids, isn't it? I'd like to share one of mine.
I don't have my own ideas very often, and this one really came out of the blue. About 8 months ago or so, I was sitting with my two older kids, playing with our mini Magnadoodles. We did a lot of the typical things like tracing each other's hands, practicing letters, drawing our own pictures, and so on. Suddenly it just dawned on me how they like to sometimes trace things, and how it would probably work through paper on a Magnadoodle, since it's all magnetic anyway. I tried it, and it worked VERY well, so I instantly set out to make a full set of traceable papers to go with our Magnadoodles.
All I did was take regular computer paper, lay it over the top of the Magnadoodle, and press around the edges with a dull pencil to make an outline. I then cut it out, following the outline, and I had a piece of paper that fit perfectly into the Magnadoodle's face. Then I drew a simple picture on it. I also flipped the paper over and drew another picture on the reverse side. Then the kids can place the paper on the face of the Magnadoodle, hold it down, and trace with the magnetic pen. Take the paper off, and voila! You have a very magical-seeming tracing!


I made a whole set of pictures, including monsters, dinosaurs, flowers, mountains, rainbows, a house with a tree and sunshine, an apple, ABC's, traced hands, the kids' names, and quite a bit more. I store them all in a zip lock bag, and take them along with us wherever we need a quiet activity - the car, an office appointment, and especially church. The kids love that they can make more intricate drawings by tracing, and I love that they're practicing their fine motor skills while having fun! My son a bit older than 2 years old when we started this, and he would often just scribble over the whole paper, but still exclaim with joy when he "finished" the picture and saw the result underneath. He later started containing his scribbles to key areas on a drawing, and now, just turned 3, he often follows a line well enough that you can tell what he was tracing when he's done. And with a whole set of reversible tracing papers, this activity will keep both my older kids occupied for a good 10-20 minutes!
I'd love to hear more unique ideas for quiet time activities! What works for you?
More "Works For Me Wednesday" at Rocks In My Dryer!
4 comments:
That is such a cute idea!!! Of course, for those of your sisters that *aren't* talented in the art of freehand drawing, would either have to trace something from a coloring book, or print it off the computer. But still, it would be well worth the effort. Thanks for sharing!!!!
Love ya, sis :-)
that is the cutest idea. again, I say, you are a great mom. your kids learn and do many more things that what i accomplished with my kids.
Ingenious! I am going to make some tracing pages tonight! My daughter loves her magnadoodle, but gets bored after a few minutes. THis is sure to hold her attention! Thank you!
That is SUCH a fabulous idea, that I'm going to steal from you, as soon as I find someone who sells the big Magnadoodles.
All I've been able to find so far are those small, mini ones. And there's not much to be done on those, trust me.
Where did you get yours? I've tried Wal-mart, Target, Toys r' Us... Can't seem to find one.
Maybe I should try online, eh?
Post a Comment