Sunday, June 28, 2009

Back Home, For Now

Well, our Colorado vacation has come and gone.  It was a really fantastic 10 days.  Well, most of the time.  With three young children, there are definitely some unhappy moments that you can't escape even while you're on vacation.  But we enjoyed ourselves so much that we didn't want to come home.  I'll have plenty of pictures and stories to tell, when I have more time.

In the meantime, it's been a difficult transition to come back home.  Between switching timezones and having issues with sleep for ALL THREE kids, Alex getting a bit of pinkeye, then me getting a bad head cold (oh, how my entire head ached for a whole entire stinking long day!!), and trying to restock the fridge/cupboards, and deal with maintenance issues in the apartment, well... we hardly went out at all last week.  And everyone was crabby and constantly fighting.  It was not a happy time.  But I think we're getting back into the swing of things.  Maybe.  At least, Alex went to sleep at his usual time for the first time since coming home last Monday late night, and it didn't take TOO long for Melinda and Jacob to fall asleep tonight.  We helped Jacob go potty every single time the whole 10 days we were in Colorado, and he's still not willing to go by himself back at home yet.  That's immensely frustrating.  He's had a few accidents, thanks to that stubborn streak.

And then, of course, Jesse went back to work.  And then came home early on Friday, with news.

He's going to work next week to train people who might potentially be interested in buying the company, but the major company that was looking to buy them have now gone away.  They gave a couple offers that Jesse's company's CEO refused.  Jesse's opinion is that he's looking to make a buck in the transaction, since he certainly won't be keeping a job if someone else buys them.  But because of this, they're running out of money badly enough that they've asked everyone not to come back to work for 2 weeks.  Since Jesse is one of the few who are participating in the training, it's only 1 week for him. But at this meeting, where apparently no solid information was given, someone asked if they'd be coming back after the 2 weeks.  The answer was, "Well.... you'll be getting a call." 

Joy.

And when Jesse was given a ride home from work, Henry (not a boss, but not quite a co-worker either) pointed out that nobdoy gave anyone paperwork, and that was kind of a problem.  Yeah.  Great.

So, we don't really know at this point if Jesse has a job in a couple weeks or not.  We're not terribly surprised, based on how the company has been going for oh... the past year or so??  But it's still frustrating. 

Game plan for right now:  Jesse steps up the job hunting another notch, we cut back on our food budget and cancel the cable TV (the only regular bill we really have any control over).... and we'd be surprised if we stuck around in Maryland for longer than through the end of summer.  The apartment costs too much to rent if we're unemployed, and our lease only goes through October, anyway.  We'd really rather not have to uproot Melinda once she starts school, just because we have to up and move again.  Then again, if he somehow manages to keep his job, we'd probably go ahead and stick around while he keeps job hunting.  But my preference is to definitely be elsewhere by the time Melinda starts school.  (and ohhhh, it's so much sooner than I want it to be!!!)

Some of you out there are already aware of this job situation, and I just want to thank you for your concern and prayers.  We have faith that everything will work out for the best, and that Heavenly Father will take care of our family.  Jesse is an incredibly smart, hardworking guy, and I know he'll be able to find something else good for himself and our family.  But your prayers mean so much to us!!

5 comments:

Grandmama said...

Welcome Home and back to the grindstone. Hope that grindstone is easier now that the kids may have settled back in. Our prayers are definitely with all of you.

Anonymous said...

I have so been waiting for a post from you. I am glad that you all got home safely and that the kids are back into the swing of things. Good luck with the job search Jesse! Hope that everything is going great for you guys now that everything is back into the swing of things.

The Duckers said...

:o( Been there done that, and it is so not fun.
We'll be praying that everything works out for the best. I'm so glad that you had a fun time in Colorado. All of your pictures on facebook looked so fun. Sorry I didn't comment on them. I was in a bit of a hurry. I think you should move to Idaho and live by us!!! :o) Although I'm SURE you're not missing these winters. hehe

Ally said...

Welcome Home!, first of all. I hope everyone gets settled back into the routines. Especially the sleeping and potty routines. ;-)

I'm glad you had an enjoyable trip.

Sorry to hear about Jesse's job. Add my prayers to all the others - I'll be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers that he'll find something that works for all of you. And quickly!

Anonymous said...

I sure hope everything works out with Jesse's job. So, ideally, is he looking for jobs in Colorado?