I have many, many, many mornings where I am unable to convince myself to get out of bed, no matter how much I know I need to. I'm just not a morning person. And hey- I'm 8 months pregnant and crazy tired, okay?!? At any rate, on Friday morning, Jesse had to run out the door to get to work on time, and couldn't grab the kids some breakfast like he often does. Which meant that I really did need to get up and feed those poor children. And honestly, I needed to get up anyway, in order to give myself enough time to get ready to go to playgroup. But mommy's sleepy, and warm under the covers, and just doesn't want to get up.
Melinda comes in after Jesse leaves, and asks, "Mommy, is it time for you to get up now and get us some food?" I groan. And pause. Sigh. "Give me a few more minutes, okay Melinda?"
About 5 minutes later, she comes back, dutiful little girl that she is. "Mommy, are you read to get up now?" I groan again. I'm really not ready. It doesn't feel like I will EVER be ready. "Can't you wait a couple minutes longer, Melinda?" She sighs, but leaves the room without complaint.
She comes back in quickly this time, after maybe only 2 minutes. "Mommy, I'm hungry. When will you get up?" Boy oh boy, this morning is hard. I really don't want to get up. But she is being so nice about it. So I say, "Hmmm. Maybe when pigs fly...."
Melinda gets this quirky little look on her face. It turns into half of a grin. Suddenly the tone in her voice expresses that she's had one of those "Ah-ha!!" moments, and she says, "OH! That's good. There *are* pigs here, see??" And suddenly, she is oinking and flapping her "wings". And since Jacob has since joined her, and copies everything she does, he chimes right in with his own little "coinks" with flapping hands.
As tired and unready to wake up as I am, I absolutely have to laugh at this display of wit and cunning. And wouldn't you know, it was enough to start off my day on a cheerful note.
(Nevermind that the rest of the day was a big disaster....it's the good stories we want to remember!!)
3 comments:
Smart little girl! Maybe too smart for her own good!!! I love those funny stories though! :o)
I can see that she takes after her mom and is pretty smart!!! That is one of the cutest stories!! I'll have to tell Steve, he'll get a kick out of it.
Speaking of cute stories, let me share this really quick:
We were coming home from church yesterday (2-24) and Kate was wearing a yellow dress. As we were getting into the van, Kate said something like-" All the clouds are hiding the Sun!!" And I said, "can you be our sun since you're so cute and yellow?" Steve and I started singing "You are my sunshine, my only sunshine...". Kate was saying "No," "Wait," "Stop" through the whole song, and when we finished, she said in an almost crying voice, "But I can't get to the sky!" Oh, so cute :)
Jacy
Cute story! :) Sounds like one smart little girl.
Post a Comment