Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Six Things

I was tagged by Brighton Woman to do this six things meme.

1. Link to the person who tagged you.
2. Post the rules on your blog.
3. Write six random things about yourself.
4. Tag six people at the end of your post and link to them.
5. Let each person know they've been tagged and leave a comment on their blog.
6. Let the tagger know when your entry is up.

Ms. Brighton mentioned how she'd done a Six Things meme not too long ago, and took her list on a Holiday spin.  I, too, have done several random things-related memes before... and since it is Christmas, I decided that I'll focus on Holiday things also.  Why not?  :)

1- I love colorful Christmas lights.  They can be multi-color, or colored with a theme (like only red/green, even all blue, whatever!), but I MUCH prefer them to white lights.  There's nothing that disappoints me more during Christmastime than driving down a road and seeing house after house after house sporting nothing but white lights.  White lights on the edges of the roof, wrapped around columns, over the bushes, twisted through the trees... A great display of lots of lights, but there's no color!!! It's just wrong, people!  Use the white lights to compliment the colors, okay?  Throw some white icicle lights in with multi-colored bushes next time, will you?

2- I grew up in Western Washington.  There were a lot of local Christmas tree farms.  I do love the smell of fresh Christmas trees.  Usually, my whole family- 6 kids in tow- would go out, walk around the field several times, and try to get everyone to agree on one perfect tree.  That never works with 8 people, trust me.  By the time we were all feeling frozen inside and out, and it was clear that there was now way that we were all going to agree anytime soon, my dad would bribe those of us who didn't agree with the majority.  And he bribed us with a quarter.  And you know?  It worked.  Boy, we were cheap!

3- Even though I love fresh Christmas trees - the smell, the feel, the event of picking one... I own an artificial tree, and use it every year now, since we've been married.  The only exception was when we bought a condo in Colorado, and our Realtor gave us a tree as our little congratulations gift.  I have to admit I love being able to just pull a tree out of a closet, set it up, and be done with it, instead of devoting an entire day to the process.  And I love not watering it.  And not vacuuming up dead needles all month long.  But it sure isn't nice to touch or smell. 

4- I really, really, really don't like The Forgottoen Carols.  Does that make me a bad Mormon?  Michael McLean's voice really grates against my nerves for some reason.  Similar to (but not quite as bad as) fingernails on a chalkboard.  Just can't stand it.  Add to it that I think the songs are horribly cheesy, and well, I don't like it.  At all.

5- I don't believe in Santa anymore, I promise.  BUT, when I was 9 or 10 years old, living in Everett, WA, I remember feeling wide awake on Christmas Eve.  I knew my parents were in the front room, only separated from me by a couple thin doors.  I could hear them wrapping gifts.  And they were blasting the Christmas music, too.  And after all the noise started dying down, and I was finally feeling sleepy, I swear I heard jingle bells outside the bedroom window.  Not at people-level... like, up in the sky.  I thought for years that it HAD to be Santa's sleigh bells.  Nothing else could explain it!  And I didn't even really believe in Santa Claus at that age anymore!  But my brain allowed no other explanation.  I still don't deny what I heard... I just don't have an explanation anymore.  ;)  So I tell my kids that I heard Santa's bells one year when I was laying quietly in bed.  And now Melinda is sad when she doesn't.  Especially since watching the movie Polar Express, too. 

6- I used to peek at presents. Even as a teenager.  I know, I was so awful, wasn't I?  I finally stopped once I got married, but I sure was tempted those first few years after breaking the habit.  My parents were predictable and always stowed the gifts in the same place, with only a locked door to protect them.  But it was easily unlocked, and their weekly nights out sure gave me ample opportunities.  The good thing was that I usually peeked in the dark, so it was hard to tell what anything was.  Especially if I was trying to leave no evidence.  And also, when there's six kids in the house, and at least two others are also teenaged girls, you can't really tell what's going to be your present, anyway.  So, I don't actually remember spoiling the surprise for myself.  I might have on a couple occasions, but if I did, it wasn't bad enough to make an impression on me.  Also, the lure of all the "Santa" presents was soooo tempting that I would actually set my alarm for something crazy like 4am, get out of bed, go peek at the living room where the tree was, see all the neat "big"/unwrapped Santa gifts, then quietly sneak back to bed.  And then make sure everyone was out of bed by 7am to start unwrapping!  No sleeping in on Christmas morning as long as I'm around, no sir!  Oh wait... right, I'm the mom now, and now I do want to sleep in on Christmas.  What a pay-back.

And there you have it, six Holiday things about me. 
Now it's my turn to tag people.  Remember - this doesn't have to be Holiday related.  And you don't HAVE to play if you don't want to.  You can ignore me completely, and I won't be offended. 

1.  My college (sorta-)roomie, Shannon Milliman, who I found through Facebook and only recently made me aware that she had a blog!
2.  Emily at Dream Awake, who is an absolutely fun/wonderful person who I know through church.
3.  My sister Jacy,
4.  My sister Melissa,
5.  My sister Megan,
6.  And last (but definitely not least!) my sister Kaija.  Whew, that's all of them!

Can I tag one more for good measure?  I mean, do 4 sisters seriously count as 4 separate tags??  ;)  Laughadaisy, I'd love to see you do a holiday six-things meme, if you have time/energy for it! 

4 comments:

The Duckers said...

I NEVER peaked!! And I still wouldn't do it today. The surprise and anticipation is too exciting to spoil it!! Maybe that's why I'm good at not finding out the sex of the baby. It's the most fun 9 months EVER!!!

Becky N. said...

I don't think I could ever surprise myself with the sex of a baby if I had the option to find out.

Nowadays, I definitely don't peek at presents - I really enjoy that surprise. But the pain of waiting, once I can see a present wrapped and waiting, is not very fun for me. Anticipation sort of kills me, in almost every form I find it! I like surprises... but they're much better without the anticipation attached. :)

Jenni said...

The one downside of our fabric drawstring bags--it's really easy to peek and then put it back and nobody would ever be able tot ell....
however I'm a non-peeker. I found out what I was getting (only partly accidentally) for my 13th birthday. It was horribly unexciting to actually get it. So I refuse to peek now. I've (totally) accidentally found out an occasional present since then, but I go to great lengths to NOT find out, LOL!

FYI, i've heard that it's a fact that labor is shorter if you don't know the sex of the baby...I'm not sure if that's enough to convince me, but it's an intriguing thought!

Becky N. said...

LOL @ Mommy Bee - I don't think my sisters and I need any help in the shorter labor department! There's something to be said for not going from "I think I'm probably in labor" to "Oh my gosh, there's the baby!" in less than 6 hours.

But see, so far I'm surrounded by non-peekers. I told you I was awful! At least I'm reformed, right?