Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Tour of the Ornaments


Before Christmas is totally a thing of the past, it's about time I got around to one of my intended posts. ;)
I wanted to share my Christmas ornaments!

I love a good beautiful tree as much as the next person, one with a well-executed theme... but my favorite is when every ornament is unique and has a history. So here are my favorite ornaments!


This one was from my "Enhanced Learning" teacher in 5th grade. My parents (and siblings?) teased me and called it "Enchanted Village" (which was what a local theme park was called, back then).... The participants in Enhanced Learning were bussed to a central school for part of a day a few times a week. We were tested and if found to be "advanced", we were put in the Enhanced Learning class. I didn't make it the first time I was tested (in 3rd grade?). It certainly was more difficult than the typical elementary classes. I remember being pretty frustrated in that class, reduced to tears many times, not feeling like I quite fit in, or couldn't measure up, and I opted not to continue in 6th grade. But I wound back up in the program in 7th grade, after some friends talked me into it. Of course, it was much different by Middle School - instead of being bussed out to a different school, we just had a different homeroom. It was a much better experience by then, and set the stage for me to take more advance classes and eventually AP classes, earning me college credit while I was in high school. One of the best parts, of course, was having those same friends I made in elementary (and then middle) school stick with me through my core classes all through high school. That 5th grade class, with my Enhanced Learning teacher, was the foundation of it all. So this simple apple has a lot of memories attached to it. Not to mention the fact that it was the last year I went by Rebecca. As soon as I hit middle school in 6th, I had everyone call me Becky. And here I am!


This was an ornament given to Melinda through an online ornament exchange. I joined a forum when I was expecting Melinda, and continued posting there all the way up until about last year, when everyone sort of drifted away. We had a couple gift exchanged over the course of the years, and I love this ornament she got from one of her "due date buddies". She even loves Hello Kitty! This ornament has much more of a stained-glass look than the photo shows.


This is another ornament from an exchange from that same October '03 due date board, given to me this time, instead of Melinda. It's a fairly large glass sphere, with a glass Rudolph, and a sparkly blue background. I pack it away very carefully each year, it looks so fragile!


Jesse's mom, Nedra, gave us a set of these cookie cutter ornaments a few years ago. They're lovely, tied up in ribbon, with beads and a jingle bell dangling inside. Definitely a favorite of the kids, too, always doing their best to wiggle them to make them jingle. :)


This is an ornament I bought in Washington, after one of our family tree-hunting trips. After the tree was cut down, we went inside the owner's garage/gift shop, and enjoyed some hot apple cider. There was a Christmas tree displaying many small ornaments for sale, and this was one that really caught my eye. It's very small, just over an inch tall, but I love it. It always reminds me of cutting our Christmas tree on a cold day, the smell of pine everywhere, and the promise of hot apple cider afterwards.


This was another ornament we received as a gift. I think it was just last year, and I think (but don't kill me if I'm wrong!) that it was Jesse's sister, Sarah, who gave this one to us. I love it for it's simplicity, crafty look, and perfect reminder of the reason for the season.


The next two ornaments were made by my mom, in 1987 (I was 7). She cross-stitched them, and even painted the frames. I love having something so old to keep and enjoy year after year. Every time I look at them, I think I should take the time to make something for my kids while they're young like this, too.

This photo shows two ornaments. The sequin tree was made by Melinda two years ago. It was a craft from Oriental Trading. I didn't think I'd hang it on the tree after the first year she made it, but it turns out I do enjoy having it on the tree: Melinda's proud of it, and I like how it sparkles. And you know, the crooked sticks have a certain whimsical appeal to them. :)
The carousel horse ornament was one that I made with my mom at a Mother-Daughter Relief Society activity. Well, the shape itself was already made, but I painted it! The poor horse's front legs broke off many years ago, but nothing a little glue can't fix. You can see the seam if you look closely. I was deifnitely in a loves-horses-to-death phase when I painted this ornment, too, which made me love it even more.

This ornment is very simple and unassuming, and was given to me by one of my Seminary teachers when I was a teenager. It also serves as another reminder to focus on the religious meaning of the Christmas season.


Here's another two-ornament photo. On the left is a felt star, which I also made for my Primary class kids last year. It went along with a lesson we had that week, close to Christmas, and I also liked the thought of seeing a star at Christmas time and associating it with faith.
The ornament on the right is yet another one from an October '03 due date forum ornament exchange. 2005, even Jacob was on there. There sure were a lot of thoughtful women I made friends with out there on the internet. :)


Here's another ornament that Jesse's mom made for us. She's really good at making wooden Santas, and has a whole big collection of them that she painted in different styles. I think this ornament version is really fun, with his poofy chenille details! I think this one is one of Jacob's favorites, too.


I have a thing for Cardinals this year. If I would have managed to send out Christmas cards, you can bet they would have featured a cardinal in the snow. I spied this tiny little guy while we were shopping at Target, and he became the only new addition to our ornament collection this year.

I got this lovely ornament from a Visiting Teacher a few years ago who made a big difference to me, during a year when I was really suffering emotionally. She said it reminded her of a stained glass window, the type you'd find in a really old cathedral, and I have to agree.


Another two-ornament picture. On the left is a picture ornament I bought when Melinda was just over 1 year old. I can't believe that's my same baby girl in that photo! She's grown so much. I've really slacked off, and Jacob and Alex don't have their own ornaments. :(
On the right is another ornament Sarah made for us. I just *adore* this pengiun! He's nice and big, has that hand-crafted look, and definitely an original on our tree. Did I mention I love original ornaments? :)


And this next one is so not an ornement.... but I couldn't resist showing Jacob's handiwork... maybe you'll laugh as much as I did!

Did you know Mary had a day job as a construction worker? ;)

2 comments:

Jenni said...

I love that they are all unique and different. Ours are a lot like that too...I missed them these last two years. Next year I *will* have my own ornaments again! And I'll have to do a tour of my own then. :)

Anonymous said...

becky...i really enjoyed reading about and seeing all your special ornaments, and even remembering with you some pretty special times.