Friday, July 31, 2009

Sharp Contrast

Today, I frequently hear myself thinking, "Oh, Father, he needs this so much."

Jesse hasn't been in the best of moods lately.  I'm sure you can understand why, with a job that is quickly (yet still maddeningly slowly) eroding away,  a car that is constantly breaking, trying to job hunt, and deal with things the way they constantly are with three young children in the house.  Sometimes I've worried that this entire giant set of circumstances might lead him to become depressed, especially since he pretty much never hangs out with any guy-friends.  It's just work, deal with problems at home, and worry about the future. 

Yesterday, Jesse found a great job to apply to in Butte, Montana.  Initially, Jesse had completely written off the entire state of Montana for job searching, but he came across this one job, and suddenly started getting excited.  It sounded right up his alley, he soudned perfectly qualified, he had a good background with his current job that would lend well to transitioning to this other job possibility.  We spent a while working hard on writing a solid cover letter, and sent it off.  But it was amazing to me, to watch his mood do a complete 180.  He was grinning, getting excited (while trying not to get TOO excited, because, you know... if you get your hopes up and then your resume just sits in a black hole, that can be a pretty big let-down), and just suddenly turning back into the happy-go-lucky guy I married all those 9 1/2 years ago.  The kids were up past their bedtime and playing crazy, like they always do when they're up late, but Jesse didn't start losing his temper or getting frustrated... he started picking up each child and "boinging" them across the room, like they were on giant spring shoes that could bounce them higher than an adult head.  And then they were all giggling and having the time of their lives, and then Jesse started flipping them in the middle of their bounces, or having them rebound off the wall.  And I couldn't help but grin and giggle and get silly, myself.... 

The whole evening was happy.
Happy!!  Just because of a little hope and excitement, from a job prospect in Montana, of all places. 

I went to bed with that thought in my head.  Comparing it to the typical mood around here lately.  I try to stay upbeat, among all the problems, but it's hard, of course.  And just seeing how happy things could be, I realized how very much Jesse really needs this: A new job, a new start, something to hope for and look forward to.  He needs to be back to himself again.

And such a sharp contrast... that moment in time didn't last.
Today, as I was taking Melinda to her school physical, the car overheated again.  Again!!   Just a few weeks after we replaced the radiator!!  I called Jesse just as I was heading into the doctor's office, to see if he could come over and look at it or at least give me more fluid to put in the car, so I could get home.  It was just about his lunch break.  So he had to skip lunch with the guys, get dropped off in the sweltering, humid air, walk across the street from Wal-Mart to the doctor's office (lucky they're so close to each other!), and figure out what the problem with the car was.  He was just devastated when I told him the problem over the phone.  His exact words were, I think, "Becky, I just can't take any more of this..."  And it wasn't an angry or frustrated voice.  It was a despairing voice. 

But, he came and looked at it.  Looks like it's some sort of pipe that goes to the rear heater of the car that has rusted through and was pretty much pouring the radiator fluid out.  While he was laying under the car looking at everything, all the guys from work came back and huddled around our car.  They shared their time to run and get some clamps and stuff so Jesse could quick-fix the van well enough to get it home.  In the meantime, Melinda and I got a ride home with a couple others of his coworkers.  And to top it all off, Jacob and Alex had to be driven home from our friend's house 20 minutes away, since I couldn't go back to pick them up.  I'm grateful for everyone who pitched in to get us through the afternoon... but we still have yet another car repair to do, and the fun didn't end there...

As Jesse was calling the auto parts store, the sound of his phone was "crackly".  Attempting to fix it, he turned it off, removed the battery and replaced it, and powered it back up.  Except, when he powered it back up, it wouldn't come on.  It only showed a screen that said, "Contact Service".  Of course, we're out of the warranty time for his phone, and it's doubtful that it will fix itself, you know?  So it looks like we're also going to have to pay for a new phone for him.  In the meantime, though, we were able to call up customer service and get his called forwarded to my phone.... so if any potential employers call, at least he'll get the calls, right?  After he got off the phone with customer service, he admitted that he really just wanted to "quit" the day, and go to sleep.  To escape, even just temporarily, all the troubles that were weighing and beating him down.

But my heart was really breaking to see him react to these events one right after the other, on the heels of such a happy night.  I just wish I had the power in me to physically remove his stress.  So he could be himself.  The carefree, animated, laughing, joking Jesse that can always handle anything that comes his way.  It's a sharp contrast... and not one I enjoy witnessing.

Yes, he needs this so much.  A change, new prospects, something to get excited about, something to ease his worries...  He needs it.  And I can't give it to him.

7 comments:

The Duckers said...

:o(

I hope everything goes the way it needs to. I KNOW that Heavenly Father hasn't forgotten about you guys, and has SOMETHING special in store for your family. We didn't quite have it this bad when we lived in Washington as far as cars breaking down and cell phones dying, but Dorian wasn't happy with his job at all. He wasn't excited to wake up and go, and he was just miserable. I'll always be thankful for that experience because now I can see that he has been so happy with these last 2 jobs that he has had. It just motivated him to leave a good paying job and come to Idaho where we needed to be. I'll keep your family in my prayers! Oh, and maybe a nice trip to the temple would help. Read the VT message if you haven't already! ;o)
Love ya!

Jenni said...

I know. Men who take the role of provider seriously (as your and my husbands do) are very affected by not being able to fulfill it. It is damaging to their psyche really. Thankfully this summer was not as long as last time around, but two years ago he got his lay off notice in March (though he worked through the end of May and was paid through July), but he didn't get a new job till the last week of July. It was a looooong summer, and ended up leading us to Alaska... you may end up like us and find that Montana is the home you never knew you were longing for. :)
Anyway, faith, prayer, and fasting all help of course, but I think the other thing a wife can do (that no one else really can) is bolster up his self-esteem in as many other areas as possible. Yes, he's going to struggle with feeling a certain amount of failure in the 'provider' category, but you can compliment him (to him or to others in front of him) about what a great father he is, how hard he works, etc etc. :)

Summer said...

I'm so sorry Becky. I very much identify with you here. We've just about his the 7 year mark and Tom gets so discouraged at times about his lack of progress. I hate not being able to do anything to help his research. I try to make our home inviting, keep it clean, be thoughtful toward him - anything I can to help. Someday we'll move on to something he's happy with, finally.

Anonymous said...

Tell Jesse that we love him and are constantly keeping him in our prayers! IF you guys get the job in Montana at least you would be closer to both homes! That would be nice and Montana from what we hear is really nice! Sorry about the clunker car...not much you can do about that!
We love you guys! try to keep happy!

Anonymous said...

Ouch. That sounds rough. We love you all!! When one door closes (which apparently has been a lot of doors in your case) another one opens. Somehow, the Lord is preparing you for something. I don't mean to preach or anything, but the challenges that youre facing now will only make you stronger. We're praying for you. Don't ever forget that.

Ally said...

Hugs and prayers and good thoughts going out to you, all of you.

I wish I could do something to help. :-(

So much.

Sarah said...

Ughhh!! What an ordeal i hate living through those kinds of things. You'll kind of look back and laugh when things are better but life can sometimes be a nightmare huh?? Good luck!