I'm shamelessly following Allyson's example, and I'm going to try a new thing: Every Sunday, I'll post a scripture or spiritual quote and talk briefly about it, in order to enhance the spirit of my Sabbath day.
One of my long-time favorite scriptures is found in the Book of Mormon. Helaman 5:12 reads:
And now, my sons, remember, remember that it is upon the rock of our Redeemer, who is Christ, the Son of God, that ye must build your foundation; that when the devil shall send forth his mighty winds, yea, his shafts in the whirlwind, yea, when all his hail and his mighty storm shall beat upon you, it shall have no power over you to drag you down to the gulf of misery and endless wo, because of the rock upon which ye are built, which is a sure foundation, a foundation whereon if men build they cannot fall.I think one of the bigger reasons that I was originally so drawn to this scripture is the visual imagery involved. I have a really easy time envisioning hanging onto a rock for dear life in the middle of a terrible storm. And my mind also has a very easy time translating that literal storm into a spiritual storm, and the literal rock to the Rock of Jesus Christ.
But more than that, I love the promises contained in this verse.
Elder Richard G. Scott said:
“I testify that you will remove barriers to happiness and find greater peace as you make your first allegiance your membership in the Church of Jesus Christ, and His teachings the foundation of your life. Where family or national traditions or customs conflict with the teachings of God, set them aside. Where traditions and customs are in harmony with His teachings, they should be cherished and followed to preserve your culture and heritage. There is one heritage that you need never change. It is that heritage that comes from your being a daughter or son of Father in Heaven” (in Conference Report, Apr. 1998, 114; or Ensign, May 1998, 87).I very much have faith in the promise given in Helaman 5:12, that if you build your spiritual foundation on Christ's teachings, Satan will have no power to drag you down, and you cannot fall. I do have a testimony of it as well - when I have been faithful in following the Lord's commandments, I am happy and can find peace in even the most tumultuous of times that I experience.
3 comments:
I'm hurt (see me pouting?) I came up with 'scripture sunday' all by myself way back in March. I ended up calling it "sunday inspiration" because it's not strictly scriptures, but I DID IT FIRST.
neener neener.
OK, I said it. I can like you again now. :D
Lovely thoughts. :-)
I love the imagery you described yourself - I totally get that!
(I'm okay if you change the link and give the credit to brightonwoman....) heehee
(Except, I haven't read her blog, so I know I didn't get it from her, but YOU should feel sooooo guilty!) haha
(Either way! I'm looking forward to reading your inspirational thoughts!!)
For the record, I did apologize to brightonwoman! But publicly, I do remember that she has also been doing a similar thing for a while now, but my mind was in the right place when I read Allyson's (magirk's) blog to feel inspired, and eager to follow suit, whereas when brightonwoman started hers, I was in the very end of my pregnancy and was just not in the spirit for doing new things of ANY type. But yeah.... boy did I feel guilty....
Post a Comment