Sunday, August 3, 2008

Breaking Dawn


Don't worry, I won't post any spoilers here!

I picked up my copy of Breaking Dawn on Saturday morning, and started reading it mid-afternoon. I just finished, and oh my!! I am in awe at how much I *loved* this book. All 754 pages of it!!

I re-read all of the previous three books (Twilight, New Moon, and Eclipse) over the past week (and no, I was not a very productive person this week, but oh well, half of us were sick over the course of the week, anyway!). I enjoyed them still, but I was not completely in love with them as I had been the very first (and second) times I read them. I wasn't laughing or crying my way through them. I already knew them well enough, I suppose.

But Breaking Dawn? It got me right back into the swing of things, and I was immediately sucked back into the vivid world that Stephenie Meyer creates. I laughed out loud. I cried. I felt completely elated, blissed-out. I felt hopeless. I felt sheer determination. I felt free and on top of the world. I felt powerful. I felt confused. I felt love, I felt pain. The turns that were taken in the early part of the book were things I didn't like- I rejected them at first, felt disgusted that such a perfect story would be marred. But in the end? Oh, how perfect it really was! I had no idea Stephenie Meyer could make the Twilight story turn out like it did. BEYOND my expectations, completely beyond them! The whole of it really just clicked right into place! I will never read the previous three books with the same perspectives, now. Am I allowed to call the whole thing just ... genius??

Honestly, I would re-read the whole darn thing right this minute, if I knew I could pull myself away from it all willingly tomorrow. Although I know I wouldn't be able to... and with a move just a couple weeks away from us, I just can't allow myself become unproductive for any length of time until we're settled into our new place.

BUT. If you've read Breaking Dawn, please feel free to phone or email me privately (to avoid spoiling it for others!) so I just absolutely gush with joy with someone who will understand!!

Edit to add:
After poking around on the internet a little bit, it has come to my attention that a large percentage of readers really hated this book! I'm honestly shocked! Hope my "review" doesn't raise your expectations too high, if you haven't read it, and end up not liking it. I guess I'm just a sucker for a certain kind of ending. :) I really thought it was the best of the bunch, by a long shot!

5 comments:

Jodi said...

Oooo, you have intrigued me. I loved the first 3 books and somehow had forgotten this book was coming out this week. I guess I better get on the stick and read it.

Where are you guys moving? Near or far?

Ally said...

Good gracious, girl! You read a nearly-800-page book in one day!?!

All I can say is that I am truly envious. It takes me so long to read books. I'm generally a slower reader anyway, and my glasses don't work like they used to (getting old, you know), and I am constantly interrupted, even if I wait to read after the children go to bed (funny, how needy husbands can be too, eh?).

I'm impressed. ;-)

Good luck getting everything packed and ready to move. I really do hope it goes well.

Becky N. said...

We're just moving a mile down the road to a different apartment complex. Not a huge deal! But it's on a 6-month lease because we're hoping Jesse will get things into gear and work on job hunting seriously for a hopeful relocation somewhere west (Colorado is our ideal!). If not, we'll just renew the 6-month lease at the new apartment, probably.

And I do read fast - but my retention is horrible. Ask my husband. ;) In a matter of 2-6 months after reading a book, I can remember the general gist of a book, but almost none of the details. Sometimes not even character names. (Unless I've read it several times.) Jesse, on the other hand, can remember almost anything as soon as he reads it, but goes a lot slower than I do.

And I generally don't feel like a great mom when I'm really into reading a book, either, because I start tuning out my children. But that's what's nice about weekends - hubby's there the whole time, and I can tune out to my heart's desire! :)

Anonymous said...

I'm a third of the way through. I have been enjoying it so far. I'll let you know when the end comes how I liked that part.

Unknown said...

Oh I am with you! I was in absolute heaven with this book it was the finality that was closure yet let me wanting more, I am all about breaking dawn talk