Friday, October 10, 2008

Fickle Friday

Today is a magnificently gorgeous day.  October 10th, and 75 degrees outside!!  Playgroup plans got shuffled around a bit this morning, and we ended up spending some time at a playground this morning, instead.  What a beautiful morning it was!! 

After some lunch, Melinda and Jacob went to their Art Play class, where they made the crafts pictured at the left, Melinda's on the left, and Jacob's on the right.  Alex and I went to the Cylburn Arboretum again.  I picked a nice shady spot (because, amazingly, I was just slightly too uncomfortable in the sun!!!), laid some things out, and read a book while Alex alternated between exploring the grass and clobbering/tackling me.  (Side note:  It's hard to believe I'm outside in just a t-shirt, seeking shade, days after I've started thinking seriously about Christmas gifts.  Hello???)  While laying there, a few times I just stopped reading to enjoy the scenery.  What a lovely day to be laying out on the grass, listening to birds, crickets, squirrels, even dragonflies, and enjoying the sun.  And enjoying the beginnings of such vivid autumn colors, too.6 Then I realized that this would probably be the last time I enjoy the sun like that until next summer, and I got all nostalgic.  I remembered similar perfect days in college where I could lay out on the common lawn between buildings, eating my lunch or studying, while feeling the warmth of the sun on my skin, or heating my hair.  I honestly got a little bit sad for those days before kids, where I could just close my eyes if I wanted to, and ignore everything else around me.  As much as I love my kids, and certainly enjoyed spending quiet time with Alex this afternoon, sometimes it's still hard to be constantly responsible for someone else's well-being. 

It's also a little odd that a warm, sunny day made me think about college ... since I went to college in eastern Idaho, where, let's face it, it's often more cold, snowy and miserable than places even in the arctic circle.  Hard to believe, I know.  But Jesse's older brother went on a mission to Norway, and after coming home went to Ricks College in Idaho (now BYU-Idaho), he remarked to his parents that the weather was worse than Norway.

I digress.  Not that I had a very specific direction for all this rambling, anyway. 

Alex is officially teething.  This explains why, for the past 1-2 weeks, I have felt very much like a walking zombie.  Like I haven't been sleeping well.  Right, because I haven't.  Alex has been falling asleep later at night (which, in hindsight, is probably because he's uncomfortable), and of course it takes me a good long while to fall asleep, too, as per usual.  Then suddenly I'm being woken up by cries, and I swear it feels like I had just barely fallen asleep.  And morning comes all too soon, with kids waking up and demanding breakfast.  Makes me wish I had taught them how to pour their own cereal and milk, you know?  Anyway, bottom line is, Alex is getting his first tooth at this very moment.  It's already cutting through his gums.  I'm glad for the explanation for all the poor naps and bedtimes we've had over the last week or so.  But I'm also a little sad.  I love the toothless grins so so much.  I didn't have as much time to enjoy Alex's as I did with Melinda and Jacob.  Why does my baby insist on growing up so fast????

There were some great moments on TV last night.  The opening scene of The Office had Jesse and I just dying with laughter!  Alex got a kick out of our reactions, that's for sure!  Here's the scene that we both just loved:  (Warning, if you're not caught up with the story line, there is a spoiler in this clip)
The Office:  Jim makes an announcement to his coworkers
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3yjHXfric4

And after The Office, we were surprised to see a Thursday edition of Saturday Night Live.  This may be comedy show, but what they're saying here really makes a lot of sense.  It's hard to be mad and amused at the same time, but they made it happen.  This clip is in regards to "The Bailout" and AIG.  And I really think that part of being bailed out by the government should include top exec's being either fired or severely penalized in pay and benefits.  They ruined the company with poor choices - they shouldn't be rewarded in any way, shape or form.  And company retreats with hundreds of thousands of dollars spent on food alone should simply NOT. HAPPEN.  Especially not when people all over the country are losing their jobs and homes.  Not cool.
SNL Weekend Update:  REALLY?!? with Seth and Amy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp77WR6b6Ao

Did you notice the new little flower icon that accompanies my blog page?  If you're using a browser with tabbed windows, it should show up on the tab next to the name of the blog.  Or, if you bookmark my page, you'll see the flower icon instead of the bright orange B icon associated with Blogger in your bookmarks window.  Fun little change, huh?  I learned how to do it here:
http://blogger-tricks.blogspot.com/2006_06_01_archive.html

1 comment:

Ally said...

Uh, as I read this, the report on my computer says its a mere 39 degrees here, it's cloudy outside, and every so often when I look up and out the window, I see snowflakes trickling by. :-S

But I also attended Ricks College (waaaaay back when!), and I have to say, it seemed to me like we were living on a glacier for 10 months out of the year! I loved my time there, but I was so happy to leave the snow and ICE. ;-)

I saw some of those SNL clips. I agree that these execs should be punished rather than rewarded. They've made life miserable for all of us, who haven't done anything wrong. It's just not right. But I've decided not to get into the politics too much, because I know I'm driving everyone around me crazy.

I'm glad you enjoyed the day! ;-) It sounds positively delightful.