We're on our own for Thanksgiving this year, which we're actually pretty excited about. If you go to someone's house to visit, the company is splendid, but you miss out on all the mouth-watering leftovers! Seriously, I think leftovers might be the absolute best part about the traditional Thanksgiving meal. So we're happy to celebrate on our own.
We've been busy this evening, getting the baking and cleaning done. I pulled out my menu plan from last year, when Ben and Brea visited, and decided, what the heck? It went swimmingly last year, I enjoyed every bite of it, and following it exactly would make things easier on my already near-constant deer-in-the-headlights brain.
Which means, of course, that I'm totally going overboard on pies. Totally. Completely. OVERboard. But I love pies! And so does Jesse. But seriously? If you know anyone in my local area who might like to share some pie with me, tell me who they are, so I don't put on 20 pounds in one weekend, mmmmkay?
Up on our menu is:
- Turkey, brined and roasted a la Alton Brown
- Sausage stuffing/dressing
- Sweet potatoes ("casserole", but it's really just basically mashed and baked in a pan)
- Mashed potatoes & turkey gravy
- Waldorf salad
- Herbed corn
- Broccoli
- Pickle spears
- Olives
- Rolls
- ...and (do I dare publicly admit I love this stuff??) cottage cheese/whipped cream/pineapple/orange jello "salad"
- Sparkling cider
- Cranberry/ginger ale/limeade punch
- Apple Pie
- Eggnog Pumpkin Pie (baked)
- Cheesecake Pumpkin Pie (refrigerated)
- Cheesecake with Cherry/strawberry topping
And I won't have to cook for the rest of the weekend. Ahhhhh, bliss.
6 comments:
You simply MUST share the recipe for eggnog pumpkin pie, and probably for the pumpkin cheesecake pie too...
I made standard pumpkin and chocolate bavarian for pie night, so this week I just did peach, pecan, and sour cream blueberry...we'll see how they turned out tomorrow I guess!!
We're having 12 adults over today. Thats. LOTS!
Is your drink a variation of the wilcox holiday punch? which is cranberry juice, sprite, and pink lemonade. I think I'm totally interested in trying limeade!! :o)
We have Megan and family coming. Little Clayton is so much fun. He just won't stay out of the kitchen drawers ;o)
Dorian thinks your turkey sound heavenly!! I told him you really loved it last year. Maybe we'll be trying it next year or something, but i really missed my fried turkey that I've become accustomed to!! :o) I really love my New Orleans style thanksgiving, but we're off to a friend's house to celebrate. So it looks like we'll be having the regular traditional thanksgiving. Have a fun day!
That sounds great! I would also love that eggnog pumpkin pie recipe! Good luck and Happy Thanksgiving!!
Oooh, how did the brined turkey go? My dad just told me last night that's what he and my stepmom did, and he said it was the most delicious turkey he'd ever tasted. Took some preparation and time, but well worth it. I hope it was good! :)
Post a Comment