You could say I had a bit of a crazy week last week, right? Between my dishwasher breaking, Jesse being gone a lot for work and other responsibilities, me going into a mini-spurt of depression (thanks, hormones), Jesse leaving for Grandma Lewis' funeral, the power going out, Alex teething (and sleeping poorly, again), making crazy long drives with a screaming baby, the kids being their normal crazy off-the-wall selves, trying to fix the car all on my own, and other such randomness... it was crazy, right? I'm not making it up?
So why, then, was I so shocked to discover my first gray hair this morning? I knew the day couldn't be too far off. I think my younger sister even admitted to having a few already. But I guess anticipating that "some day" you'll see physical evidence of age and stress is a bit different that seeing it right in front of your face in the shocking present.
I yanked it out, of course. I did allow myself a few moments to contemplate the oddity of 6 inches, from the root down, being a white-silvery color, and then transitioning to the remaining couple inches being my normal brown. After fully examining the evil little thing, me and my crinkled-in-disgust face went back to blow-drying my hair. And then I caught a flash of another oddly out of place hair reflecting the light differently. I nearly gasped. TWO?!? I yanked that one out even more unceremoniously than the first. And again I caught myself in disbelief that it could actually be happening to me. I'm only 28!! Too young, too young!! (I know, I know, it's not. But it feels like it!)
I went about my day, a bit miffed and slightly more scatter-brained.
And when we were at a friend's house, I helped Jacob in the bathroom. He took forever washing his hands, like always, which allowed me enough time to end up glancing in the mirror and spotting another little gray demon-hair. WHAT IS THE DEAL?!? Three gray hairs, all on the same day?!?!?!
{whimpers}
And please, since I'm obviously at a loss anyway, will someone explain this to me? Why can Alex not stay asleep for longer than 30-45 minutes in the very late evening without waking up and crying and wanting to nurse back to sleep, even when it's dark and quiet and everything.... but as soon as it's morning and kids are up and screaming through the house, slamming doors with full force only a few feet away from him, and generally making an absolute ruckus... why is it that he can then magically stay asleep in his own bed without even flinching a single muscle, for several hours??? WHY?!? Why not put that lovely solid sleep to good use when everyone else wants to sleep, too? Why save it for the hours that he should be awake?!??
Today, I am one stumped (and apparently aging) mama.
4 comments:
I found my first gray hair when I was 18. I expected to start getting grays young because I have the same dark black hair as my dad and he was almost completely gray in his thirties. I'm now 25 and I have probably 15 gray hairs.
I don't pluck them because my family always warned me that for every gray that got plucked two would grow back. Haha. I don't really believe that, I just don't mind having them.
My curent plan is to just let the gray happen and not dye it. I may feel differently, though, when the gray gets a lot more noticeable.
I think I have at least 30 gray hairs!!! :o)
AND, I do believe through my own experience that pulling them out grows more than one back. It's got to be true, because once I started pulling them out the amount of grays double or possible tripled!
I have been stressed all my life though. That's all I do is stress out.
Sorry about the gray hairs, but I would love to have only 3. :o)
I have found more than a few. (and I'm younger than you!)
I leave them there...I figure i'd rather be grey than be bald!!
Of course, the henna does pretty things...those are the hairs that turn super red. ;)
I guess I didn't leave a comment last week when I read this blog. I felt for you when you found the gray hairs, but you'll either get to color them or finally give up and grow old gracefully. I didn't mind the coloring...but the money was insane. I suppose their are alot of ladies that do that at home, I was never brave enough to. You should talk to Jacy, she and Megan did theirs New Year Eve--here at my house while I was out for the night.
Post a Comment