Saturday, July 11, 2009

Unsupervised

We haven't been great about getting out of bed very early this week, with Jesse home on a forced vacation from work. That means that the kids are up and playing while we're pretty oblivious to what's going on, catching some extra zzz's while we can. This morning, they surprised us with a couple actually good things.

First, a box of gallon-sized ziploc bags somehow got knocked down from the top of the fridge. Might have happened before we went to bed without us noticing it, but the kids sure noticed it this morning. They took them and proceeded to "clean up" the playroom by stuffing those gallon-sized bags with as many toys as they could. And then they stacked them all on the chair in the living room. See the picture? So proud of themselves. Even Jacob, in all his underwear-and-swim-goggle glory. You can even see a bit of the very clean playroom floor in the doorway behind them. .... .... Maybe I should implement gallon-sized bags into our cleanup routine??

And then, as I was setting out a breakfast "snack" (snack only, because we were heading off to IKEA to grab breakfast and do window shopping, but since Jesse and I had gotten up at 9am, they were already "starving"), I saw some papers on the table, and I was floored by the drawings I saw on them. Melinda had found her "how-to-draw animals" book that I bought a few months ago. She had deemed it too difficult and frustrating back then, but she did awesome this time, all on her own:

An Angel Fish:



A Butterfly:


A Cobra, complete with wiggles:


Top: a fly;
Middle Left: a worm (with wiggles);
Middle Right: a starfish (with a million dots!!)
Bottom: a sperm whale
She said the worm was the trickiest one for her. But she put a lot of detail into all of them, and I could tell what they all were right off the bat. What a fun thing to discover first thing in the morning!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh, my gosh! those are incredible drawings! good job, melinda. that's awesome that the gallon bags worked. i wonder if they would be opposed to sorting toys into different bags. by the way, im sorry about your van. hopefully this will be the last thing you have to fix for a long time. you've had quite your share of car problems as of late. good luck!

Grandmama said...

This little girl reminds me of her mother. You 'floored' your Dad and me a number of times with your drawings.

Melinda...we like your pictures!

Sarah said...

Wow great pictures and Hooray for children that clean without being told to.