We attended an open house of the Great Soul Wellness Studio down in Baltimore city today. We heard about it through word of mouth - one of the families attended an African Drumming class there recently, and just loved it. I was all set to go, and pay for attendance, but lucky us got a free class with the open house!
African Dance and Drum Circle for Families
Description:It really wasn't terribly involved, as far as teaching goes, but it was an amazing experience. Our teacher was born in Cote D'Ivoire in West Africa, grew up and studied there before coming to the United States, so it was definitely an authentic class.
African Dance and Drumming for Families: Students will learn freedom of expression through dance without limit or restriction. Participants will be challenged to open their minds and bodies to new experiences of dance and rhythm. Basic stretches and warm-ups use sequences found in the various African dances. Sit-ups and push-ups are used for strengthening. Stories, songs, and drumming will also be explored in the class. Freedom of expression is stressed by allowing students to freestyle as they are gathered in a circle with their fellow dancers cheering them on as they escape themselves and any inhibitions through movement, “just letting go”. Dancers are not confined to the rigors of classical training. Students will learn how to move in new ways and to listen to the drum with sensitivity and readiness. Balance will take on a new meaning as students find joy in dance. Also, students will learn basic African melody and rhythm through the various drumming techniques but also through chants and singing. All ages and family members welcome.
We started out on yoga mats, doing exercises like sit ups and push ups, etc. Melinda has been practically begging Jesse to exercise with her like that at home, but she absolutely refused to try it at the class. Jacob tried a little bit, and giggled. I pretended to use my abs as much as I could fake it, lol. My balance and large belly combined just doesn't make for functional sit ups. Eventually we put away the yoga mats and moved onto some African dancing, or drills, not sure exactly what to call them. They were different stomping rhythms, jumps, arm and head movements, and so on. All while chanting phrases I'm not even sure I got close to right! They sounded so foreign on my tongue. Again, I faked the dancing and chanting as best I could, and tried (in vain) to get the kids to participate. There were some younger African American girls a couple rows ahead of me, and it was amazing how much their movements looked straight out of a documentary. I can't move like they did! Not even when I'm not pregnant! ;)
I should note that before we decided to make the drive to attend this, I checked and triple-checked with Melinda to make sure she actually wanted to go. She tends to be afraid of loud noises (toilets flushing, upstairs neighbors stomping, drums banging...), but she insisted she wanted to go, it would be fun, and no, she wouldn't be afraid! The fact that she already wasn't participating before the drums even came out was really frustrating me. And Jacob had an extremely grumpy morning, from the instant of waking up, and once we started doing the dancing, he only wanted me to pick him up and hold him. Of course.
And where was Jesse during all of this? He had to run errands for Scouts. He needed to turn in Day Camp paperwork at 9am this morning, but had only gotten paperwork from one family. So he had to get up bright and early to drive to each of the other boys' homes, get their paperwork, and then drive down to the location to turn it in. (This did not make for starting his day off well, either....) Anyway, we were lucky enough that he was able to wrap things up just as we arrived at the Studio, and he made his way over and joined us about 10-15 minutes into the class, just in time for dancing in circle formations, and then tug-of-war lineups. Thank goodness he got there! I couldn't take much more of appeasing Jacob, as well as trying to keep Melinda unglued from my leg.
After some more dancing and chanting, we finally got to drum. And THAT was the amazing part! Everybody got to hold an African
I would love to do it again, and so would Jesse. Unfortunately we had to leave a few minutes early because the kids just didn't want to do it anymore (neither of them even tried to hit a drum! Even after Jacob was trying to get at them the entire class up till then!).... so I doubt we'd be going to another family session, if we ever do go again. All the same, it was really enjoyable, and a much welcomed break from being stuck at home all week. And I have to admit, living in Maryland does afford some very interesting culture experiences!
I tried to take it as easy as possible (physically) during the class. But between the little I did, and the bending over to talk to the kids, and yeah, picking up Jacob so much, I did work up a little bit of a sweat. But all I kept thinking was how each of my prior labors have started after some vigorous activity, followed by a rest. And I have so much planned for next week that I really didn't want to go into labor today! I'd hate to have to cancel all my appointments - Visiting Teaching, Chiropractor, Dermatologist, Relief Society dinner, friends visiting, playgroups, and more... too much to miss! I saw a friend there at the class, and she joked (not knowing my history, even!), "Trying to induce labor, Becky?" I laughed, but felt a bit afraid, too, lol! I'd love to go into labor next Friday or Saturday night, but not today! And none of the days until at least Thursday!
But is it just coincidence that this afternoon, I not only had a Braxton Hicks contraction (they've been amazingly infrequent during this pregnancy), but that it was the first strong Braxton Hicks contraction of my entire pregnancy??
1 comment:
You'd better go know on some wood!! You're going to jinx yourself. I'm sure baby will come whenever it's the right time, so if it's next Tuesday, don't be too sad.
The class sounded like fun. I can relate a bit to your day, although I didn't have dad with me!! :o)
Dorian worked all day today, and he works all day tomorrow. (9:00am-after I'm asleep). I took the kids to Rexburg and we went out to eat at Wingers then stopped by walmart to grab a couple of things, and 2 bags of candy. After that we went to the cheap theaters to see The Veggie Tales Movie and didn't make it all the way through. Granted it was nap time, but JD was just throwing fits left and right and trying to escape with about 30 min left.
I tried so hard to have a fun day, but all I got was a grumpy James.
Post a Comment