Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Melinda's got me pegged

(And because two posts in one day just isn't enough, obviously....)

Easter is coming up. It's obvious, the candy and decorations are everywhere, and unavoidable! On the way home from the grocery store today, Melinda suddenly says, "Mommy, you're the Easter Bunny!"

Wow. This girl's 4 years old.... "What? What makes you think that?"

"Because we stayed in the bedroom and blew bubbles with Daddy and you hid candy!"

"Why do you think I hid the candy?"

"Well, I saw that Easter Egg on the doorknob, you put it there."

"How do you know I wasn't just watching the Easter Bunny hide the candy? Bunnies are pretty quiet, you know...they don't make very much noise! Maybe you just didn't hear the Easter Bunny."

"But Mom, we don't have any pets!"

Huh? Oh...bunnies are pets, I guess. "Well the Easter Bunny isn't a pet just like Santa Claus isn't a pet."

Conversation ended, as we pulled up to our house, and Melinda started querying about which parking spot we had last time compared to this time.

And I was completely exasperated. Either Melinda is incredibly smart, or I'm incredibly bad at pulling off mythical holiday creatures.

It probably doesn't help that there's no time to do Easter hunts until after church, and therefore no time to hide the candy without the kids around. But come on, she remembered all of this, and figured it out, based on something that happened when she was 3.5 years old? Where's the magic in that?

4 comments:

Ally said...

She's already got it figured out!?

Our Princess is 4.5 this year, and we're just barely getting around to telling who the Easter Bunny and Santa Claus even are in the first place! :S

Yikes!

Your daughter must just be brilliant. ;)

Anonymous said...

Lol! Definitely a smart cookie.

Rogers said...

Holy Moley!! That's not fun!!!!! But you have to admit, you came up with a pretty convincing story to feed her. Especially when it's so out of the blue. Who knew 4 year olds would put all those piece together and then blame their Mom with doing all the dirty work :)

Very cute story, well worth a second post (he, he)

BTW, cute bunnies, too :)
Jacy

The Duckers said...

Silly Melinda! She better not tell Jacob! :o)