Monday, March 10, 2008

Melissa, this is for you

Don't think I haven't noticed your comments, saying repeatedly that I should sit down and make those baby shoes! ;)

Since Jesse was home from work today, I went ahead and decided to do some sewing. I could have started my diapers, finally, but opted for the shorter project you've been bugging me about!

So here are the completed baby shoes, made from blue suedecloth on the upper surfaces, brown suedecloth on the sole, and lined on the inside with striped flannel. Not too shabby, huh?
And for good measure, I'm also showing off a different quickie project I did recently. I had some scraps left over from cutting strips and squares for the barnyard baby blanket that I did last week. When I told Melinda that I was making a baby blanket, she first thought I meant baby dolls. And she kept stealing scraps to cover her dolls with. So I decided to take the leftovers and turn it into a quick doll-sized blanket:

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those baby shoes are adorable! And so unique! You could totally sell those. I'd buy some!

Anonymous said...

I agree with summer...they are totally cute. Do they stay on baby feet well? I notice that socks fall off really easy. Could they be modified to have a drawstring or shoe string type ties around the ankle? My favorite booties when you kids were young were corduroy tops with non-slip bottoms that had shoestring ties. With the shoestrings tied the booties NEVER came off.

Becky N. said...

Thank you Summer, and mom, for the compliments. :)

I have yet to try these on an actual baby, lol. They're basically the same thing as Robeez shoes - they have elastic in the ankle. Most people who use Robeez swear they never fall off. I made it fairly tight, but I don't know for sure if it will be tight enough for newborn ankles. But yes, they can *easily* be modified to use a shoestring instead of elastic (and I'm sure it would be a lot easier than trying to sew the elastic in there...), but I like the cleaner look of enclosed elastic, at least for boy shoes.

I'll definitely take pictures of these on the baby once he's born, so we can see how well I did with the sizing! :)

Ally said...

Awesome projects! :D

Cute, cute shoes. And what a great idea to make a doll blanket for your daughter. You're a very attentive mother. ;)

Ally said...

Oh, and uh, I would buy a pair of those shoes too!! If you were selling.... ;)

Jenni said...

The pics wont open for me, but apparently they are working for others...i guess i'll just have to check back later!
my favorite soft shoes are jo-shoes, which i'll be talking about on my blog in the near future...

The Duckers said...

Those shoes are PERFECT!!! YAY!! Now get to those diapers. :o)
YOur little guy will be so cute in the slippers. And I bet it feels great to have them done.
I bet Melinda was thrilled that you made her a blanket for her dollies huh? what a great Mama you are.