Monday, October 27, 2008

Bloggy Carnival: A couple of my favorites

Bloggy Giveaways Quarterly Carnival ButtonI had a lot of fun earlier this year when I participated in the Bloggy Giveaway Carnival. I won a few prizes. I spent far too much time browsing a thousand new blogs and drooling over fun prizes. So, this time around, I'm participating by hosting a giveaway of my own. Fun fun! I love to give things away!

I realize I'll have a lot of new visitors by participating. Hello! I'm glad you came by, and I hope you're having fun.

I wasn't sure what I might give away, at first. I don't have a ton of time to do something handmade right now. I didn't want to just do a generic gift card or something. But, as it happens, I just got finished reading an absolutely wonderful book - the first to go on my list of absolute favorites in quite a while! And as soon as I put it down, I immediately wanted to tell everyone about it, so they could enjoy it, too! So, it's perfect timing. Why not? I'll give the book away for the carnival!

Item #1, a treat for your heart: Book of a Thousand Days, by Shannon Hale
What can I say? I absolutely devoured this book. It was a quick, easy read - it took only about 5 hours to read, with interruptions. But more importantly, it was such a beautiful and magical story.

There are so many reviewers out there who will do it more justice than I can. But I'll try. The book is written in the voice of Dashti, an orphaned mucker who trades her last horse to gain employment. When it is discovered that she has a gift with healing songs, she is taught to be a lady's maid, and to read and write. Just after Dashti swears an oath to serve Lady Saren, she learns that her lady is to be locked in a tower for seven years for refusing to marry the man of her father's choice. Dashti feels something for Lady Saren, and agrees to be locked in the tower along with her.

Book of a Thousand Days is written as Dashti's journal, numbered by the days they began their life in the tower. You would think that perhaps the story of two lone girls locked in a dark tower would be dull and unexciting, but it actually feels rather exciting and magical, as they deal with problems, visitors (friendly and not), and the emotions of isolation. The story follows the two of them through their adventure in the tower, and their adventure out of the tower, once they break free.

This story is based on the Grimm Brother's fairy tale "Maid Maleen", which I have to admit I've never heard of before now. But it truly does read like a fairy tale, with the commoner girl being full of bravery, spirit and honor. Set in an invented land with a medieval Mongolia background, you get a lot of cultural influence into the story, which serves only to absolutely beautify it. The language is simple to read, but absolutely lyrical, almost like music on the page. Dashti is full of hope and faith, wonder of the beauty in the world, as well as profound gratitude at the merest blessings. She is an uplifting, beautiful soul, and you just want to keep reading and never stop. In contrast, Lady Saren sees her life as tragic, and often sulks and cries like a little child. Dashti is overwhelmingly gracious about it the majority of the time, and the contrast between their reactions to their situation further propels the wonder of the book.

As with many fairy tales, there is a wonderful ending. The growth of the character of Lady Saren and her relationship with Dashti, as well as the influence of people who learn to love Dashti's gifts and beautiful soul, help to bring about happy circumstances despite the laws of the culture.

It was simply one of the most magical, beautiful stories I've ever read, and so easy to get caught up in, just flowing from one entry to the next. Dashti even occasionally sketches within her book, which makes it even easier to envision the Asian influences and characters. Dashti's attitude about life is so contagious, and this story is absolutely well worth the read. I don't doubt you'll want to tell someone else about the book as soon as you're finished reading it!


Item #2, a treat for your body: Trader Joe's Natural Mint Cocoa
If you're not familiar with Trader Joe's, let me introduce you! And if you're not near one, I'm so sorry! This is a fun, quirky store full of natural groceries. There is always something to sample. There are always balloons and stickers for the kids. And everything I've ever purchased from Trader Joes is absolutley yummy and to-die-for. The Natural Mint Cocoa is no exception. Here is a partial description of the product:

Our mix has been created using only all natural ingredients, like pure vanilla extract and all natural peppermint oil, so its fresh, inviting flavor will fill your mug with invigorating chocolate warmth morning, noon or night. And it’s as delicious as it is easy to prepare. For a rich, creamy cocoa, simply mix in warmed milk.
The peppermint oil really adds a unique kick to the cocoa. If you find it a bit overpowering, it's easy to mix it half-and-half with another hot cocoa mix for a more subtle effect.

I may or may not throw in some of my favorite classical music along with these things, to make a nice rounded package. A book that will warm your heart, some hot cocoa to relax your body, and music to soothe your mind. I haven't quite made up my mind if I want to spend the extra money on the music or not. At the very least, the winner will definitely get a copy of the book and a container of the mint cocoa.

All you have to do in order to enter the giveaway is leave a comment on this post. No requirements. But I would surely appreciate something a little more fun to read than, "Thanks for the giveaway!". Because I read all my comments, I really do! I get so excited by them! But a couple hundred "Thanks for the giveaway!" comments won't be all that fun for me to wade through. Still... no pressure. But I do enjoy meaningful comments. : ) Extra warm-fuzzy/brownie points if you've been a regular lurker at my blog but have never commented before. I will love you forever if you come out and say hi!

Important notes:

  1. When entering, make sure you leave an email address or at least have an email available in your profile. If I can't contact you via email if you win, I'm going to have to pick someone else.
  2. Please note that the winner will be selected at random.
  3. I'm sorry, but this giveaway is only open to U.S. residents! I can't afford to mail a package out of country.
  4. You must be willing to provide your address if you win, so I can send the prize!
  5. I know at least some of my family reads but doesn't comment. You don't have to have a profile in order to comment. But if you can't figure out how, and want to participate, please feel free to email me and I'll add an entry for you.
  6. Contest will officially end on October 31st at midnight! I will be sure to announce and contact the winner on November 1st.
Many, many more giveaways can be found all this week back at the Bloggy Carnival!

104 comments:

Killlashandra said...

With winter fast approaching you can't go wrong with a cocoa mix, especially with 3 kids at home. :) Although from the Mom perspective the book sounds really great. I've never read that fairy tale either and will have to look it up. Thanks.

Mistress Meeyee said...

Cocoa is so nice,I want it!!!!A book is nice too!!! Let me have it and I will give you a fruit rollup. Well, it used to work when I was a kid.

The Duckers said...

Well, I've been dying to have a good book to read since I read the Host back in September, AND I've never been to a Trader Joe's!!! This seems like the perfect giveaway for you PERFECT sister! hahaha

-M

Becca said...

I had "Book of a Thousand Days" on my 'Goodreads' list for awhile now. I love books that my daughter and I can both read and discuss. Shannon Hale is a great author! Thank you!

Erin Lowmaster said...

I've heard of this book but never read it. I recently had my first child in May and finally am getting back into reading. I'd love to win this contest and read that book then blog about it! :)


ellybean@conncted2christ.com

Becky said...

I just love, love, love Shannon Hale.

Becky
laney_poATyahoo.com

koopermom said...

I love this giveaway! I've been wanting to read that book!

Cynthia said...

I love to read a good book. I do not have a Trader's Joe anywhere near me. I hear so much good stuff about them.

Anonymous said...

I've never heard of that book but now I need to add it to my to read shelf!

Beth said...

Shannon Hale has recently become of my "new" favorite authors, so I was incredibly excited to see this post here! I would LOVE to win this book, which I've not read yet (I've read *Princess Academy* and *Goose Girl* and loved them both). I actually just wrote a post about Hale and her work on my blog the other day -- bookwormjournal(at)blogspot(dot)com I would love to have you stop by and read it. Always great to connect with others who are kindred spirits when it comes to good books!

My email is bethpriest(at)yahoo(dot)com

Nise' said...

Nothing is better than a cup of hot cocoa and reading a book!

Kathie said...

The book sounds wonderful. And the cocoa, well, it is chocolate and mint. What more could anyone ask for. Love for you to visit my blog.
Blessings

altermyworld said...

WOW this sounds amazing.
ANg

Mer said...

A book and some hot chocolate (and a purring cat acting as a footwarmer) sounds like perfection. I remember reading a review of Book of a Thousand Days and thinking it sounded interesting, so I'd love to win this.

Stonefox said...

This is my kind of giveaway! A good book and coca...well it just doesn't get any better than that! I hope I win! :) stonefox@pobox.com

Anonymous said...

Hark! The Medieval tales are just what my thousand days of winter needs... with the garden-mint and precious-chocolate steaming cocoa and the magic of your kindness!

Many good tidings to you and your royal darlings in your happy castle, Dear Lady!

pumpkinlady430@yahoo.com

Katherine said...

I've never heard of this book, but your description really makes me want to read it. I'm envious that you have a Trader Joe's nearby! Ours is at least 30 minutes away. Not to be repetitive, but truly, thanks for the giveaway.

LadyBug-Kellie said...

I LOVE to read and this sounds like a great story! I think you did a wonderful job reviewing it :) And of course I LOVE hot chocolate especially on these cool days!!

sunnymum said...

Looks like a great book. Thanks for the chance to win. I am a huge fan of hot cocoa too! Your page is nice and warm with hot-cocoa-ish colors too. Stop by our blog if you're interested to win a subscription to Good Housekeeping this week. Take care!

Unknown said...

I'm so jealous that you live near a traders joe, i've heard great things about that store and the cocoa sounds so good, please enter me!

Kimberly said...

I love the way you painted a pretty picture of the book to warm your heart and the cocoa to warm your body. LOL!!!

Sounds like an awesome giveaway! Thanks!

HunnyV "at" Optonline "dot" net

Tori said...

Oh, I would love a copy of that book! I used to work at the library at BYU and would process all of the books by LDS authors. I started reading this one and it seemed so good. I hope I win!

torijames7@gmail.com

the schros said...

I'm in. katelynthames AT yahoo DOT com

rebecca said...

Hmmm... I feel bad because I purposely skipped reading your review! (On the chance that I win, I don't like to know anything about books before I read them!) But, it looks like a great book. And I need a quick read with a baby in the house!

gitrecca (at) gmail (dot) com

Jessica said...

Thanks for the contest and have a great Halloween.
gugel98@gmail.com

Momnerd said...

What could be better than curling up on a crisp autumn day with a good book and a delicious cup of hot chocolate. Honestly, for me, not much! I already love this book and would love to own it and love hot chocolate too! sharlacarbine at gmail dot com

Anonymous said...

I've read so many great things about Shannon Hale and have been wanting to read one of her books.

Alyson said...

Mmmmm, cocoa and a good read. Can't beat that! I have loved fairy tales since I was a little girl, and am enjoying introducing my children to them. How exciting to find one for grownups! Thanks for a great giveaway!

Anonymous said...

Ooooh! that book looks beautiful! I would adore to curl up on a sofa with it and just read it from cover to cover with a mug of cocoa by my side!
rose.barnsley@yahoo.com

Dee said...

I LOVE to read...its what I do for my "mommy time"! This book looks like a good read! And I dont have a trader joes around me and have never been in one! Guess I'm missing out huh? I would LOVE to try this Natural Mint Cocoa though!

Marie said...

This sounds like a great book and cocoa -- what could be better!

vmlay@artsci.wustl.edu

Anonymous said...

Mmmm mint cocoa and a good book! Perfect for a cozy winter evening!

Deborah
dbstout{at}juno{dot}com

World's Greatest Mommy said...

Shannon Hale is my favorite author. Totally love all of her books. I've never had any of the mint cocoa...but I'd love to try it. What a cozy giveaway!

Kristin W. said...

looks great. count me in!
thanks for the giveaway!
specialk.roxygirl@gmail.com

Amy L said...

You make the book sound so good that it's going on my "must read" list. I like Trader Joe's, too. They ahve such unique and high quality products, and it's fun to shop there. Thanks for the chance to win.

Alicia said...

Sounds like the makings of a cozy evening.

Thanks for the giveaway! >^..^<

Sunny said...

Cocoa and a book! What else do you need?!
sj3girls AT hotmail DOT com

Anonymous said...

the book sounds wonderful
KawaiiNeko2008 (at) aol (dot) com

kristin said...

i am drooling over the thought of the cocoa! there are no trader joes near me, and i miss them! i also love shannon hale's writing. i actually haven't read this one yet, so i am crossing my fingers for a win! kmc.love at gmail.com

ancient one said...

It's chilly here ... the cocoa sounds just right ... of course I would love to read the book... I sure hope I win... come see mine

Becca said...

I would love a good book to read, and the cocoa looks fabulous. I only wish we had a Trader Joe's! What a treat to win! Thanks! cross_home2001 (at) yahoo (dot) com

Mia said...

i would love to win!daisy_collections@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

Cocoa and a great book is perfect for a cool winter evening.

Lisa Garner said...

You did a great job on your review of Book of a Thousand Days! Dashti sounds like a very mysical character. I had never heard of it before but now I definitely have to read it!!
lisalmg (at) ktis (dot) net

Kristan said...

i need to read more books...and i love tj's!
andrewandkristan(at)hotmail(dot)com

PastormacsAnn said...

Great giveaway!

I love the way your daughter is laughing in my profile picture. Her joy is apparent! So Sweet!

jubys1mom(at)yahoo(dot)com

MOMFOREVERANDEVER said...

would love to win...looks great, please enter me...mrs.mommyyatgmail.com

Krystle said...

The perfect combination... Cocoa and a good book!

Becca said...

I've never heard of that mint cocoa, thanks!

Blessed Beyond a doubt.... said...

Looks like a great relaxing read! YUMMMMY cocoa!

Thanks for the chance to win!

In Him,
Jill
http://tonsofsons.wordpress.com/

janaemadsen said...

I love shannon hale- and you have a good picture for your profile. janaemadsen@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

This is a wonderful giveaway! I spend lots of time reading every day, so I would love to win this! Thanks!

Toiling Ant said...

Thanks for entering my giveaway... I'd love to be entered in yours as well. I've always heard great things about Trader Joe's from my friends who are lucky enough to live near one.

I noticed you're reading "Teach Your Child To Read"... it's an EXCELLENT book!

Loralynn said...

What a nice giveaway! With it getting colder here in Michigan, we even had snow today, I am looking forward to sitting by the fire and reading all snuggled up in a blanket. I have never tried Trader Joe's mint chocolate, but I can easily picture it steaming in a mug on the table next to my chair adding to the aroma of a real fire...bliss...

Melissa B. said...

This sounds like a really good book. I would love to read it.

Heidi said...

I am pregnant and so I am entering every giveaway I see that offers chocolate!

Kathy - mom of many said...

I would love to win this prize! Although I don't get much reading done these days (I have ten children, and homeschool them), I would try to read this book! My daughter would enjoy it too.
Kathy
bigfamily8(at)yahoo(dot)com

Anonymous said...

The book sounds really good.And I love cocoa.monk5@charter.net

Crayl said...

If I didn't read your review I never would have been interested in that book. (And yay for mint cocoa too). Thanks for a chance.

eyeslikesugar said...

How fantastic! I would love either the book or the cocoa! Thank you for this giveaway; I hope I win :)
eyeslikesugar (at) gmail (dot) com

Unknown said...

this looks so good, i love a good book and a hot cup of cocoa!

ebienic(at)hotmail(dot)com

Genevieve P said...

I have really enjoyed her other books, but I've not read this one yet! And I really wish Trader Joe's was in TX--I've heard so much about it. The cocoa looks scrumptious!
parknj at basicisp dot net

Lisa @ The Plain-Spoken Pen said...

Hi! This is my first visit to your blog! It's a good time of year for a good book and a cup of hot cocoa, and you can't go wrong with mint and chocolate. And add me to those who wish Trader Joe's was in Texas. I have friends who rave about it. Thanks for the giveaway!

bunkielisa (at) sbcglobal (dot) net

shaunjoy said...

I don't think I'm near a Trader Joe's. I keep reading fabulous things about it on the internet... maybe this will be my chance to try out one of their products! :)

shaunjoy (at) juno (dot) com

ahiltz said...

I live in Mt. Clemens, MI and we are an old little town that was known in the early 1900's for it's mineral baths. People would come from all over the country to soak in these salt water baths hoping to cure any ailments they would have. :) Thank you so much for doing this giveaway for us!
ahiltzy@yahoo(dot)com

Unknown said...

I love to read and cocoa...ah, that sounds just wonderful!
frog123 (at) cyipcom (dot) net

Alyce said...

I've heard good things about this book, and would love to win!
akreese (at) hotmail (dot) com

Anonymous said...

I love reading, and chocolate of course. The story sounds amazing! I loved Anne Franke's diary when I was younger, so I'm drawn to read books from a journal's point of view. Have you checked out The Red Tent by Anita Diamant? It's not about girls being locked in a tower, but I think it's a rather strong and great story to read. Have a great day!

Ren said...

I love young adult fiction. It's my favorite genre.

Anonymous said...

I love cocoa with peppermint. It's one of my favorite winter treats.

And now that you've reviewed it, I'd really like
to read that book.

I guess I need to win this one

AmandaK said...

That book sounds great!! With winter fast approaching, i'm in the search of a new book to read- and I think I found it!! I might even read it with my little girl!

orchestratenoise0726[at]yahoo[dot]com

cl said...

You have a beautiful blog and a beautiful family.

toohotforturtle said...

Awww...loved the pics of your kids and the pumpkins. They are adorable

Anonymous said...

I'd love to win this, because (as you read) I have no idea what to do with myself now that I've finished Edward and Bella! :) I've heard good things about The Book of a Thousand Days and Trader Joe's? I WISH we had one close to us. Love that place and everything they sell!

BTW, do you think that book would be appropriate for my 13-year-old niece?

Michelle@Life with Three said...

Not sure why my link doesn't work...sorry. My email is lifewiththree(at)yahoo(dot)com.

Jodi said...

I love to read, and this sounds great. Thanks for the chance.

purehrt555(at)yahoo(dot)Com

Anonymous said...

Yum! Sounds like a cozy winter night is planned out for the lucky winner :D Thanks for the contest :)

Marissa said...

Yay! I love a good book recommendation! I have never heard of that one. Can't wait to read it all curled up with a cup of hot mint cocoa!! On another note, I see in your Currently Reading column you are using Teach your Child to Read in 100 EZ Lessons. I am using that book for my 5 year old. How's it going for you? :)

HilLesha O'Nan said...

A good book to read and hot cocoa to drink...what more could a girl want? :)

lilacbutterfly [at] earthlink.net

mom2boys said...

This book sounds great. The hot cocoa is my favorite. Great combination. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

This sounds wonderful, and if I don't win, I'm going to check it out of the library. Thanks for a neat prize!
sjbraun at hotmail dot com

Anonymous said...

You picked some really nice goodies for your giveaway! Thanks for having this. I love your blog design. The colors are so warm and welcoming.
doot65{at}comcast[dot]net
Elizabeth

Sarah said...

Nice turn out Becky! Who knew you had so many readers. How fun. I just read that book for book club and loved it. You should read some of her other books if you haven't. The Goose Girl was really good too. Maybe better (written differently)that that one.

purplepassion126 said...

This is great for the upcoming winter monthes. This will give me a good excuse to sit and read a book while driniking some cocoa when it is cold and snowy outside. Thanks for the giveaway!

AJ @ A Little Bit Nutty said...

This would be great! I'm always looking for a good book to read. The cocoa makes it even better. Yum!
AJ1014[at]gmail.com

kamewh said...

This sounds like a great book! I would love to read it!

Thank you for the great giveaway!

kerin0874 (at) yahoo (dot) com

Krista said...

I have been near a Trader Joe's but I have yet to actually be in one! I have tried some of their stuff though and oh yum! I'm sure this will be the same. What's better than mint(!) hot cocoa and a good book??? :)
teacherkrista at gmail dot com

Mommyhood is Thankless said...

I really love cocoa and a good book :D

Can't wait until I can snuggle up and read this

Thanks for the chance to win, please throw my name into the hat!

mommyhoodisthankless{AT}gmail.com

Anonymous said...

I'm always looking for book suggestions, so thank you!

Angela @ Nine More Months said...

A book and cocoa, that's the perfect treat! I do love everything from Trader Joe's. Thanks for the giveaway!
Angela
itsahumanzoo(at)gmail(dot)com
P.S. I’m giving away a subscription to Parents Magazine on my blog, so if you or someone you know might be interested, stop on by! :)

Carrie said...

What a great give away! Thanks for offering!

Molly C. said...

What a great giveaway! I love discovering new authors & books, and this book looks really interesting.

Emily N. said...

the hot cocoa sounds good

megret7 said...

I so wish we had a Trader Joe's near us. I hear tons of wonderful things about that store.
Thanks for the contest!
Megret
musesofmegret (at) gmail (dot) com

Jinxy and Me said...

Nice prizes. Thanks for the giveaway!

RainyPM said...

Hi there! This book looks amazing, if I don't win I'm going to go check it out from the library.

I think it's so fun you play computer games. Do you have any favorites? I used to play a lot, and I even met my husband playing a game.

My baby is just a couple of months older than yours and I'm also LDS. I'm looking forward to checking out your blog some more.

noreen said...

I didn't know trader joes sold this, I will have to look next time, come on over to my blog and maybe :) vote for my girls, you can enter my contests too

Anonymous said...

I'd love to curl up with a cup of this cocoa (we dont have a TJ's near by) and this book through the winter!

jen
mariettaseller(AT)yahoo(dot)com

Unknown said...

I would love to read that book, then share it with my mom! It sounds like just the type of book we love to share and discuss. Yup, mom is like my mini book club!

Anissa said...

I just read that book (from the library) and would love to have a copy! I really enjoyed it!

Ally said...

Thanks for the giveaway. ;-)

Just kidding.

Wow! Talk about turnout!

I don't expect to win. Just wanted to say 'hi' and I hope you have fun with the giveaway. Looks like you did end up getting some good comments. :-)

Lori said...

I love reading new books, and this one sounds really interesting.

Tara said...

Sounds like an amazing book! I would love to read it! Great giveaway! Thanks for dropping by my bloggy giveaway! And you must go see Fireproof! Come back and visit!

Anonymous said...

I loved Shannon Hale's Princess Academy and Austenland, and would love to read this one. Happy Halloween!