Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Sad News

My grandpa passed away late Sunday night/ early Monday morning.  I'm doing fine right now - I'm sure the emotions will catch up to me when I'm back home in Washington for the funeral, but since I had been expecting to hear this news, I had already gotten over the shock aspect of it.

Although, there was a bit in the email my Aunt Marrea wrote that made me get teary-eyed, since I had just talked about all my memories.  She said she had been reading in Grandpa's history (which I didn't even know he had), and this is something he wrote:
"It has been a fun experience living here on earth.  It is great that it lasts so long and then we move on, but while we are here, we sure do make some wonderful friends.  We have been blessed to have so many and thank the Lord for all the comfort they bring.  I pray we will be together again one day.  I certainly love the grandchildren,  I am very grateful that most of them are living lives like they should.  This makes me very grateful because I know it will help them along their way."
So I've made some flight arrangments for myself and Alex (who nurses and therefore has to stay with mommy, not that I'll complain!), and Jesse gets bereavement leave from work and will stay home with Melinda and Jacob.  I'm happy to say the bereavement leave is paid leave, and doesn't even eat into his regular vacation time!   I'll be leaving Saturday afternoon and coming back late Wednesday night.  So... Jesse gets to be the full-time "single" parent for 5 days.  Is it okay to admit I'm a little nervous for him?  He's never done anything like this before.  Not even a single day.  A few hours here and there.... but not more that that!  He seems to feel confident that he'll do just fine (and if I stop and think for just a minute - yes, he's a grownup too, after all! - I think he'll do fine, also).  And I'm more than eager to get a break from it, myself.  I'm sure there'll be lots of relatives wanting to share Alex with me back home in Washington, too. The only part I'm not looking forward to is flying across the country alone with a baby... in full planes and less-than-ideal seats.  Ought to be a riot....

We were talking about Grandpa dying during dinner on Monday night, and Melinda was full of questions.  It was really a kind of funny discussion (especially with questions like, "How did he get so old so fast?").  But don't even ask me to explain how on earth the conversation evloved from talking about grandparents dying to the way certain animals hop.  Children are the perfect remedy, aren't they?

3 comments:

The Duckers said...

When I told Carson I was leaving because my grandpa went to heaven and I needed to go and say goodbye, he broke down into near hysterics, begging and pleading with me not to go because he'd miss me so much. It was sad yet quite comical!! :o)
We'll see how it goes!
I'll see you on Sunday.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry Becky. I hope you have a nice time visiting family though.

Anonymous said...

so how do some animals hop? We have a copy of that life history. You can read it while you are here.