Friday, November 7, 2008

T.G.I.F.

Thursday night, after Jacob was asleep and Melinda still getting up and down like she'd never get tired enough to sleep, she called Jesse in, insisting she had a secret to tell him.  She's never used that phrasing before, so we didn't ignore it, and Jesse went in to listen to her secret.  Of course I asked him about it when he came back out.  But it's a secret either he or Melinda are sworn not to tell me until just before I leave for Washington tomorrow.  (I hate knowing there's a secret and not being in on it.... even if I have a good guess as to what it might be...)

The autumn colors are absolutely astounding right now.  So vibrant.  I can't even think of the words to describe it, really.  It seems like every leaf of every tree is just bursting full of color.  And there's so many colors, and they're all so rich!  Not yellows, oranges and reds... but gold, and bronze, and copper, and ruby... burnished brass.  Lemon yellow, fiery orange. Entire hillsides like this!  And next to the still-perfect bright green grass, the deep forest greens of the evergreen trees, and with the odd angle of the afternoon sun lighting the trees just so, and the deepness of the shadows... it's really all just so breathtaking.  It's nearly impossible to drive down a road and watch the road instead of staring drop-jawed, full of awe at the colors on either side of the road, or up ahead.  I really wish I had a camera while I was in the car. Or that if I did have a camera, that I could take a picture while driving, so I could show you.  It's just amazing. 

I was so sleepy today that I couldn't read a book during Melinda and Jacob's art class.  My eyes kept crossing and I had to keep re-reading sentences.  So, I gave up, and I napped in the car instead.  Totally zonked out.  Glad I had set the alarm on my cell phone, so I wasn't late picking the kids up!  But wow... I haven't taken a nap in a car like that since my days as a legal secretary with 1-hour lunches.  (Thank you, universe, that Alex was nice and slept right along with me!)

Alex took an unassisted step from his activity table to my outstretched arms today.  He fell down after that step, but still.  Walking by 8 months, anyone?

We were shopping earlier this week, not a full week after Halloween, and can you believe the store was not only decorated for Christmas, but playing Christmas music as well?  Is that just NUTS??  Does Thanksgiving not exist anymore?  I voiced my purturbance a few times, and now Melinda is right on board with me.  "Why don't they decorate for Thanksgiving, Mommy?  Why do all the stores have to decorate for Christmas??" (Said with a slight scowl on her face, of course.)  This morning I went into her room, and she had decorated the underside of the top bunk with toys and scarves and such.  They were Thanksgiving decorations, and she's leaving them there. 

We just finished lesson 16 in How To Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons.  Melinda has read a few short sentences now!!  She's very proud of herself.  I don't know when we'll stop doing two lessons at a time.  She seems to have no problem with two at a time.  If she keeps it up, she could be reading well in just a month or so, I think.  Although we introduced the sound "th" today, and she had a hard time saying only "th" instead of "that".  And sometimes she doesn't take her time and immediately assumes how a word will end (like sam = sat, for instance).  She rolls her eyes at me and groans really big when I have to correct her.  She never has been one to take her time with anything, and that could be a hurdle as we get deeper into the lessons.

Jacob has been a ball full of aggressive energy the last few days.  Not always antagonistic, but even the innocent aggression is difficult for me to deal with.  Like laying on top of Alex and trapping him while I'm not in the room.  Or whacking people, even playfully, with a toy or piece of clothing.  Or chasing Melinda down with hard toys in both hands.  I probably haven't been doing enough to get his energy out otherwise.  Maybe my energy for those sorts of things will return once I'm home again next week, after a breather from being on constant mommy alert.  Well, sort of, at least.  Alex still has to have me, but he's different.  I've always been better at parenting the babies.  Maybe because they don't require so much brain effort and exuberant playfulness, just persistance and patience.  Anyway, maybe I'll be better after a break. 

Speaking of a break.  I was telling Jesse something about running the house while I'm gone, and I honestly said, "while I'm on vacation".  And I didn't realize it until after I was silent again and the words replayed through my head.  I was a little mortified that I had just referred to attending my grandfather's funeral and leaving the majority of my family behind as "vacation".  I guess my subconcious desire for a break runs a little stronger than I thought!

Anyway.  I just wanted to write up a little bit of a post before I head off to spend all day in airports and on airplanes tomorrow, all by my lonesome self and a non-verbal little guy.  I'll be back on Thursday, but I wouldn't be too surprised if I found some time to blog while I'm at my parents' house, but I'll probably save commenting on other blogs for when I get home.  (Times like this, I wish I had an iPod and a cell phone plan with internet access.... something interesting to do on a plane, huh?)

Send some prayers for a safe and uneventful journey.  I always get so nervous when flying without my family right there with me.  Or Jesse flying without us.  It feels wrong to be separated. 
Even when I'm anxious for a break.

5 comments:

Jenni said...

Yes, your reason for traveling is a funeral...but that doesn't mean that a trip away can't be a vacation. I think all mommies need some time off now and then. I know I always feel so rejuvenated after my knitting night out...I'm glad that Dave agrees with me about getting a night every week (he gets one too).

The Duckers said...

I can't wait to be all together as a family!! That equals a vacation to me!!! See ya soon sis.

Anonymous said...

you sure know how to pack in a bunch of interesting topics into one post. we are so looking forward to you being here. yeah, it may be a funeral...but you have to remember the plan of salvation...we know he gone to be with Grandma Hansen and its not a really sad time. family ALWAYS has a great time visiting and getting reaquainted at these times. did you know Uncle Lance is coming from Saudi Arabia.

kirkmanfamily said...

Hope you had a safe trip. Sorry about Grandpa Hansen, he was a great person and I'm glad I got to see him this summer.

Karla Cook @ Roads to Everywhere said...

Thanks for visiting my blog! I hope you'll come again soon!