Wednesday, April 1, 2009

The Baby Turns One

I wish I could spend a good hour or so just talking about how I feel about Alex turning one year old today. I'm not sure I've ever felt such a bittersweet feeling on my babies' birthdays before... But for whatever reason, this little guy has been such a joy in our lives that I feel so sad that he's growing up so quickly! This year has absolutely flown by, and he has been so much like a toddler for so long already... I miss my little baby. And he's never going to get any younger, that's for sure. But at the same time, he's such an amazing little guy to observe as he grows. He's sweet as can be,chock full of energy, gives the biggest grins, the best kisses, the most adorable squeeze-hugs... he is always eager to learn something new and try to be just like the big kids. I wouldn't trade him for the world. If only I could freeze time...

At any rate, today is the day he turns one year old. Amazingly. Incredibly. Unbelievably. And we're fortunate to have my little sister Kaija visiting with us this week, so I'm busy bonding and hanging out and running us all ragged. Well, not too ragged, but I'm definitely on the go more than usual with someone to entertain in the house!

So, we will be celebrating today, but you won't get full details for a while. You'll all have to wait until later, probably after the weekend, after Kaija is gone, when I will actually have time to really sit down again. I sure have a lot to share, already! But I wouldn't want to be a negligent host/big sister. ;)

In the mean time, feel free to reminisce with me by re-reading Alex's birth story, looking at some baby pictures. I'll be enjoying the second April Fool's Day of many, many more to come that I will always cherish in a whole new way: No longer a day just for jokes and pranks, but a day to celebrate our family being blessed and forever changed for the better..

9 comments:

The Washburns said...

Hurray! I can't believe he is one! He is adorable. Happy Birthday Alex! Love, The Washburns

Mindy Williams said...

I agree, this year went by so fast! We were pregnant together and all that good stuff and now the babies are 1. How on earth did that happen so darn fast? It sounds like you enjoyed it as much as we did! Happy Birthday, Big Guy!

Summer said...

I hope he had a fun birthday!

Grandmama said...

With lots of love and a happy birthday to Alex...from Grandmama

The Duckers said...

LOVE this picture.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Alex. We sent him a birthday card (sorry, we sent it late) and you should be getting it soon! We hope that you are having fun with Kaija and that some of the stress that she has here is gone when she gets home. I am positive that mom misses her like crazy being all alone in the house! Hope that you all are having fun! We miss you and happy birthday Alex!

Ally said...

A year old???

Wow. I know I'm not the mom, but that seems like it just flew by! ;-)

Hope you all have fun celebrating. And I hope you have a great time with your sister visiting.

Happy Birthday, Alex!!

Sarah said...

Happy birthday Alex! You are getting so big and oh so cute. Becky I'm glad your sis is visiting, How fun to have family in town. Have fun!

Stephanie said...

Happy 1st Birthday to your little guy! He's a cutie, for sure!