Thursday, March 13, 2008

38 week appointment

I had my 38 week appointment with my midwife today. Jacob still has pinkeye, and I didn't want to drag him along to infect the entire office, so I convinced Jesse to take a very early lunch and watch the kids for me while I went. (And what a relief it was to get out of the house and away from the kids for even just a little while! My tooth is sore today, I was clenching my jaw so much yesterday.... we're all very ready to get out of the house and do something, and the kids have been driving me quite crazy!)

Everything is still normal. My blood pressure looked like it had jumped a bit, until we switched to a slightly bigger cuff, and then it was back to normal. Baby is still head down, heartbeat still sounding like a solid 150bpm. It looks like maybe his back is leaning towards my spine, instead of away from it, but it's nothing too concerning... just makes for a possibility of back labor because of posterior position. But Jacob was supposedly posterior, and he managed to flip while I was in labor just fine. My GBS test came back negative - yay for being in the clear for that! Definitely one less worry.

I told them about the pain I had last week, and how it's barely there now. I was very gently chastised for not calling them right away when I was in such pain. ("We really want to be able to help you, but you have to let us know when you have a problem, first!") They gave me a referral to a chiropractor mere minutes from me, and asked me to set up an appointment to at very least make sure my pelvis isn't terribly misaligned so labor can be smoother.

When I was in my late pregnancy with Jacob, I developed a little blood blister-looking thing on my thumb. We all thought it was a wart for a long time, but I finally ended up at a dermatologist, who explained it was (in my words) a crazy grouping of blood vessels that basically couldn't function normally because of hormones causing them to mutate or something, most likely after I had injured that particular spot. They just kept growing bigger and bigger, and couldn't tell when it was necessary to clot. So if I poked it, it would bleed like crazy. We took care of it by cutting it out and cauterizing it. It healed quickly and left a small scar.

So what decided to pop up on my middle finger a few weeks ago? Same kind of thing. I've got a new blister-like thing on my middle finger. I was thinking I would wait till after the baby to have it taken care of, but it's gotten bigger and more tender and more annoying since then, so that I basically have to have a band aid on it all the time to keep myself from breaking it open on accident. So I made an appointment to have it taken care of. It's for next Wednesday morning, so hopefully I'll be able to make it. ;)

Agh, well, Jacob is crying at me for no sensible reason, so I better stop there. (Anyone want a couple bored-out-of-their-minds kids for a week or two??)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear that everything is going fine with the pregnancy and that the awful pain pretty much went away. Not glad to hear about the sore on the finger. I understand about getting house crazy. Been there, done that. Now, I like being home alone during the day. Very peaceful.

The Duckers said...

Looks like things are going well....except for the weird blister thing. That's just crazy!
I still hope all the pinkeye and sicknesses go away before baby comes.