Monday, March 31, 2008

40+5

5 days past my due date now, just in case you haven't been keeping track. ... I have.

We headed off to the midwife's office this morning to have a quick check-up and mostly a Non-Stress Test. Everything's looking good. The Non-Stress Test looked beautiful - it even measured a few contractions, and baby's heartbeat always escalated normally with each movement and/or contraction. (speaking of which, there's one happening right now....)

I shared my worries about meconium as we go further past my due date, and my midwife was more than reassuring. She says that in the 4 years she run this practice, they've only had one birth with a large amount of meconium, and even the women who go as far as 42 weeks generally have clear amniotic fluid. I guess meconium staining is much more related to the stress of the mother than the dates of the pregnancy. She admitted that there hasn't been a study showing that, to her knowledge, but it's what she has witnessed over the years (including hospital work, working under a physician, and all that). And if there is meconium, they know how to deal with it. So I am feeling very much more at peace with that particular concern.

Unfortunately we were at the office for a whopping 1.5 hours today, because they got a little behind, and I had to wait for the machine, and all that jazz. The kids were bored out of their minds by the time we were finally out the door, and hungry, too. But wouldn't you know it, as soon as we got to the main road to get back on the freeway, a police car had zoomed past us, and suddenly the road ahead was blocked off. Drats. I was not familiar enough with the area to know an alternate route, but a whole lot of cars were heading for the mall just next to us, so I decided to follow them. It turned out to be fruitless, and I ended up back where I was when I started, after a good 15 minutes of gridlock traffic. I finally spied a McDonalds, and figured that maybe today might be a good day to break the non-McDonalds pattern I've been in for years, just so the kids and I could eat, and maybe the police would have the road cleared by the time we were done. I gave them my order and everything before I realized I had forgotten my wallet at home, for the first time in ages. No wallet = no way to pay for food. But I have my credit card number memorized, so I asked if they could take that. Big fat nope. I sheepishly told them I'd have to cancel, cause I'm a crazy forgetful overdue pregnant lady. Well, I left that part out, but I definitely felt sheepish. So I pulled into a parking spot and thought maybe we could just sit there until they cleared the road. But I was hungry. Melinda was hungry. Jacob had fallen asleep. My bladder was starting to feel strained. I just wanted to get home, you know?

But of course, if I didn't have my wallet, I obviously didn't have my cell phone either (which belongs in the outside pocket of my wallet when we leave the house). So I couldn't call Jesse and ask him to use Google Maps to help me get to the freeway, like I usually do when I get lost. But I couldn't stand just sitting there for who-knows-how-long, anymore, so I decided to bite the bullet and just start driving, hoping we could find a way to loop back to the freeway.

LUCKY ME, I was successful. Followed a couple roads for a mile or two, and eventually looped back to the main road on the right side of the traffic accident, and we were able to get on the freeway unobstructed! WOOHOO!!

Halfway home, Melinda fell asleep, too. And I started getting the most uncomfortable back ache ever. And my bladder felt like exploding. Thank goodness there wasn't any traffic on the freeway, I might have started crying! I finally pulled into our parking lot at home, an entire hour after leaving the midwife's office, left the sleeping kids locked in the van (which I was absolutely paranoid about), and walked as fast as I could manage (there was no way running was going to happen, no matter how badly I wanted to) inside to use the bathroom. And then grab my wallet and run back outside. Both kids still asleep, still safe in the van. Phew. Then we did go grab some fast food, because dangit, it was 2pm and I was starving.

So there's my adventure for the day. Hopefully mommy has learned her lesson about forgetting the wallet. Of course. On the one day I really could have used it!!! Could have used a phone to call Jesse. Could have used money to grab some lunch. Really could have used my license so I wouldn't feel paranoid in case of getting pulled over or into an accident or something. But it all worked out in the end.

And I'm still pregnant. ;)
Wanna put bets on an April Fool's baby, anyone??

5 comments:

Ally said...

What a fiasco!

I hate it when I forget my wallet. I hate it when Hubby forgets his wallet too - he does it on purpose a lot. Well, I mean, he leaves it in the car, which is annoying in itself, but we have two cars, and we often end up in the OTHER car when we're all together, which means that Daddy's wallet is....

Glad you made it through okay. Sorry no baby yet. :( I'm still hoping for you!

Anonymous said...

Poor Becky. I would have cried.

The Duckers said...

I was thinking April 1st would be cool, without thinking that is was April fools Day. I bet at this point you don't even care! :o)
I'll put bets on that day just to get him out of you!!!!!
Sorry about the craziness. But aren't you proud of yourself for figuring out a different way home?

Rogers said...

I went into Labor the day before April fools and adamently (sp?) told Steve "I'm NOT having an April Fool's Baby!!" And I didn't. Parker was born @ 11:44pm. Cutting it close, but it worked for me!! For you though, anytime would be good. I really hate crappy days!! We're praying for you!! Lindsey even said today- "Did Becky have her baby yet?!?!"

Anonymous said...

Thank you for keeping us posted about how you are doing. I read everyday. I'm proud of you for being self-reliant and getting yourself through hard experiences. I hope for a baby today, though April 2nd is totally free on the Crockett birthday calendar. It is Eric or Mike's birthday though. One is May 2nd the other April 2nd and I get them confused.