Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Wednesday Mishmash

Jacob napped for about 3 or 4 hours yesterday afternoon. After he woke up, we managed to get him to drink some Gatorade and eat about 1 ½ grapes. He laid quietly on the couch pretty much all evening, practically falling asleep the whole time. But a bit before bedtime, he started sweating, so I figured the fever was breaking. I think I was right. No signs of fever today, hooray! Although I will say that I made the mistake of letting him wear underwear this morning, and he had a really gross, stinky, sloppy accident in them. That was decidedly not fun to clean up.

The best part about today? Both kids slept until 9:45am. SERIOUSLY. I was in heaven. And yes, of course I stayed in bed! You practically can't drag me out of bed before 10am most Saturdays, when Jesse's home and gets up with the kids. Oh, and the second-best part about today is that *thank heavens* it is much cooler and not humid today!! I was sweltering yesterday, it took all my will power to leave the A/C turned off.

After my well-rested morning, I had a fun idea. You see, yesterday, Melinda was asking where "horsies" live. She was playing with a small horse that we bought and used in the ice activity. I was being a not-quite-there Mommy, and was barely answering her, until she got really insistent and demanded that I tell her where they live. So I told her they live in fields. "Well how do I make a field?" She asked. I told her she could use a scarf to make a fence. "But what about the field?!?" she yet again demanded. So I remembered the little look-alike blanket I made for her dolls that matched Alex's blanket: it's entire back was made with a mottled green fabric. So I told her to grab that and use it as a field. She loved it. Played imaginatively with the "field", a scarf for a fence, and the little horse for at least 15 minutes, all by herself.

So now that you know the backstory, here was the idea I had: I could sew a play mat for the little animals I bought! You know how they make rugs for driving cars on? Why not a nice mat with fields and lakes and beaches? I think they would love pretending with that. So while the kids were happy and occupied this morning, I made a little sketch. I may modify it still (like I just had the idea that maybe I should add a cave, Melinda likes to pretend to have people and animals in caves), but here's what I came up with:

Once Alex woke up from a long nap this afternoon, we headed to the fabric store, and I bought a number of fat quarters to play with. I hope it turns out well! I'm excited to try this, though it may be tricky sewing such irregular lines!!

And speaking of Alex, I should share an update about him. He's just about officially out of his 0-3 month clothes. Some of them don't fit him anymore, and the ones that do are "just right", with no room for growing. And he does fit a good handful of the 3-6 month sized clothes already. He's growing so fast! And we've hit a very fun milestone this week: he's really loving to "talk" with us! I haven't gotten a good bit of it on camera yet, but he's making the most adorable sounds. A few days ago, Melinda and Alex had a good 5-minute conversation between the two of them, while Jesse and I were rearranging the kids' room! It was so funny to hear Melinda talking to Alex, and Alex cooing at her. (He likes talking to Melinda the most!) And you know, the thing I say most to him is "Hi!" (over and over and over again...) and I swear that half of his coos sound exactly like he's saying "Hi!" as well!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Still...I just love to read your stories. You have a gift of writing that never seems to go away. Thank you for the time you take to write up little snippets about you and your family. I love to check in and read.

The Duckers said...

Cute stories about all of your kids, and I'm glad that jacob feel better. Alex comes up in every conversation I have with other mothers. "My sister had a baby that was 10lbs 10 oz! At 6 weeks he weighed 14lbs. 6 oz!!!!! I always get the craziest looks and so many. "Are you kidding?" OR "OH MY GOSH! THAT'S CRAZY!!"
I love your drawing and the little crab on the beach. I think we're all excited to see how it turns out!