
When Melinda was about 9 months old, I took her to the pool for the first time. This momentous occasion was also the first time I ever put sunscreen on my child. I used my standard for the time - Coppertone WaterBabies brand. It's probably what I used most of my life, too. But what happened with Melinda made me look more closely into what exactly I was slathering onto her (our?) skin. See all that red splotchy area around her eye and temple, and also her forehead? That was from the sunscreen on her face. It actually made the white of her eye red, too. I thought it might be the pool water, until I used the sunscreen a second time and she ended up looking exactly the same, no pool water involved.
After some reading around, I ended up purchasing a new brand of sunscreen, California Baby. It's not exactly cheap, but I feel so much better using it. And no more scary skin reactions!
I'm sharing this story with you because of another blog post I read today. It linked to an Environmental Working Group article, which I'd like to quote just a bit:
A new study by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC) reveals that 97% of Americans are contaminated with a widely-used sunscreen ingredient called oxybenzone that has been linked to allergies, hormone disruption, and cell damage. A companion study published just one day earlier revealed that this chemical is linked to low birth weight in baby girls whose mothers are exposed during pregnancy. Oxybenzone is also a penetration enhancer, a chemical that helps other chemicals penetrate the skin.I strongly recommend that you read the full EWG article, as well as this fantastic and informative blog post at Skimbaco: Is your sunscreen safe? 86% in the market are not! I'm happy to say that my pick of California Baby is on the "Best" list as given at this blog. As Skimbaco notes,
.....
The Food and Drug Administration has failed miserably in its duty to protect the public from toxic chemicals like oxybenzone in personal care products. At the request of industry lobbyists, including Supreme Court Chief Justice John Roberts, who represented the Cosmetic Toiletry and Fragrance Association, the agency has delayed final sunscreen safety standards for nearly 30 years.
.....
Among common sunscreen chemicals, oxybenzone is most likely to be associated with allergic reactions triggered by sun exposure. In a study of 82 patients with photoallergic contact dermatitis, over one quarter showed photoallergic reactions to oxybenzone
.....
Sunlight also causes oxybenzone to form free radical chemicals that may be linked to cell damage, according to 2 of 3 studies.
"And interestingly, as sunscreen sales have risen, so has the rate of skin cancers."I definitely think it should. So read up, and protect your family this summer!
What? Shouldn't sunscreen protect us from skin cancer?
4 comments:
Thank you so much for this! I've been reading and researching into chemicals and toxins and such lately (the reason for most of the massive headaches I've been having, I'm sure - haha), and I've been especially concerned about what sunscreen to purchase.
We bought some Burt's Bees for our latest weekend trip. It seemed to do alright, but still felt a little weird.
Anyway. Thank you so much for pointing me in a good direction! You'll never know how much I appreciate it. ;)
(That picture is so heartbreaking! I worry so much about the chemicals and things I'm exposing my children too - especially where the 'regulation' of those chemicals is so haphazard and chaotic.)
I think I'm going to use your research and trust your brand and buy it this summer!! Thanks a bunch.
dang that is scary!
i'll have to make sure to review that before we head to UT this summer!
I just came upon this post and I'm so glad you wrote it! When my daughter was a baby I put that same sunscreen on her and she wouldn't get red and splotchy unless she was in the sun. I never knew there was a name for it.
"oxybenzone is most likely to be associated with allergic reactions triggered by sun exposure."
That's exactly what would happen.
I just checked and the banana boat baby doesn't have that in it, but I'm going to look into the California Baby brand. Thanks!
Post a Comment