Sunday, June 29, 2008

Bedtime Shenanigans

Sometimes, when Melinda and Jacob are having an especially hard time falling asleep at night, we end up separating them. One in the kids' room, one in our room, either on our bed or the twin we have set up next to it. (Because, you know, they come into our room halfway through the night 99% of the time. This way, they aren't crowding us when they do it.) Usually by the time we separate them, they've been fighting with each other too much, they can't work together, and they're tired enough that they fall right to sleep. Thank goodness.

After a couple hours of not going to sleep tonight, but still being very well behaved in their own room, Melinda started asking to be separated. We said no. (Because, you know, we do still like to have our room to ourselves most of the time. And Alex doesn't count yet. And if they're not fighting, why give that up?)

But somehow, they both snuck out of their own room and into ours tonight, without us hearing or seeing them. Not sure how they managed that, really. I was sitting on the couch that faces down the hall towards their room. Jesse guesses that maybe they were being sneaky and watching for when I wasn't looking, and darted into our room when the opportunity presented itself. And he made that guess in a mockingly fiendish tone, if you didn't catch it. ;)

I went back to use the bathroom, and did a double-take when I saw, in the dark, Jacob tucked into my bed, and Melinda tucked into the twin. "Did you put them there, Jesse?" "Nope, I sure didn't... ..."

And it wasn't just tonight. Last night, Melinda did almost the same thing. Snuck out of her room while the parents and Jacob weren't looking, tucked herself into the twin bed, and went to sleep.

I'm not sure what the lure is for going to sleep anywhere except for your own designated room with your fun Ikea bunkbed and your favorite music playing on the stereo. But the fact that they're sneaking around and somehow getting into our room without us figuring it out, when we're in ear shot and eye shot in this cramped 2br apartment, really has us kind of giggling in bewilderment.

1 comment:

Ally said...

So funny. :-)

Our 4yo occasionally wants to sleep in our bedroom. I'm strict that way, I guess, and always make her stay in her bed. Nighttimes are hard enough on me with fibro, I just can't deal with losing any more sleep for having one more person in my bed! ;-)

I hope that doesn't make me a mean mommy.....