Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Defining Sweets

I feel like I've done pretty well for the last couple days, regarding my goal of no sweet snacks for a week. I didn't snack on anything at all on Sunday (mostly because the house was almost empty of any non-sugary snacks!!). On Monday (after grocery shopping, lol), I snacked on a whole bunch of sugar snap peas, 2 plain graham crackers, and a large handful of plain baby carrots. In the evening, I pulled out some tapioca pudding. Jesse gave me a really hard time about that one. He argued that it's almost exactly like ice cream, with the milk and sugar ingredients being at the very top of the list.

Sure, technically, I guess he's right. It does have sugar in it. But my argument was that it wasn't the same mentally to me. Tapioca pudding isn't something I start craving, it's not something I see and just HAVE to have, or something I think of and instantly covet. In fact, I bought it at the store as a replacement for other sugary things, it's something I haven't had in several years. Tapioca pudding is something I can only eat so much of before I don't want any more. I decided to swear off sugary treats for a week because I was having so much trouble with my self-control...it seems appropriate enough to me to have something on hand like pudding that doesn't trigger my self-control issues. What do you think, do you agree? Or is Jesse right to look at the more technical aspect of my goal?

1 comment:

The Duckers said...

I think as long as your making progress that's all that matters in this life. REALLY, if you feel good about your choices right now then I don't think other people's opinions matter! Sorry guys! That's just how I feel.
Are you going to have a cheat day on your birthday? Keep up this good work, and you'll deserve it.