Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Potty training, Take 2?

For background or a general reminder about Jacob using the potty, read this post from February.

I'm thinking it might be time to try potty training with Jacob again. Yesterday, after a very small and incomplete-seeming poop in the diaper, I decided to leave Jacob's diaper off for the rest of the afternoon. He didn't have a single accident the entire time he was naked. Of course, Daddy put some underwear on him around dinner time, and *then* he had an accident. But he was doing great up till then, telling me that he needed to go to the potty, and then doing it! He even pooped in the potty, yay! He really seemed to notice when he needed to go, and got there in time. As long as he didn't have anything on his bottom. So I may just have to spend a few days at home and let him get used to that pattern, huh?

Of course, he did pick a fine moment to try and use the "big" potty in the master bathroom. Our toilet lid has come loose, and it's very prone to slipping halfway off the top of the toilet, if you aren't careful. And Jacob decided that he wanted to use THAT potty during the ONE TIME I was on the phone yesterday, and started climbing up all by himself. I had just realized what he was doing, and started going after him, when he started wailing. The seat did indeed slip, and poor little Jacob had a bit of a squishing incident. He wanted me to kiss it better, too. Um.... no. After much begging and pleading, I blew the owie a kiss, which was, thankfully, sufficient for him.

We had company over this morning (we hosted a group Ice Activity!), so we didn't repeat the experiment today, but I think I'll try again tomorrow.

Alex is in the middle of a marathon nap right now, which is pretty unusual for him. I should have taken the opportunity to make dinner while he's quiet and I'm hands-free, but you know... I'd much rather catch up on email and blogs and everything else instead. ;)

3 comments:

Rogers said...

I think you should go for it!! Sounds like he's ready to me. If you do decide to do it, I wish you lots of sanity, and patience :P

The Duckers said...

so you recommend going naked? I have a friend who had potty trained all 3 of her kids (2 girls, 1 boy) by the time they were 2 and let them all run a round naked. I couldn't see how that would help anything!?!

Becky N. said...

Melissa - I think it probably depends on the child. I didn't use a naked method with Melinda, just lots of reminders, but Jacob seems to have a history of having an accident as soon as something is covering him up again. I think it just makes him think it's safe to pee (or poop), because it feels close enough to a diaper. I've heard of the naked method from other people, and it seems to work for them, so I think that's how we'll do it for Jacob.

Jacy, thank you for the well-wishes! I would certainly enjoy having only one child in diapers. :)