"...As a man's real power grows and his knowledge widens, ever the way he can follow grows narrower: until at last he chooses nothing, but does only and wholly what he must do..."The above line is taken from the book "A Wizard of Earthsea" by Ursula K. Le Guin. I read this book for the first time after recently watching "The Jane Austen Book Club" movie, where one of the main characters tries (for most of the show) to convince one of the women to give the SciFi/Fantasy genre a chance, this author being the one he focused on, determined that she'd like it. I've never read anything by her, but I had at least heard of "A Wizard of Earthsea," and I already know that I love Fantasy books. I enjoyed the book, the older writing style, and the whole idea behind the story. I will definitely be looking for more of her books in the near future.
As for the quote, it really struck me when I read it. It seems to me that there's a lot of truth in that statement, even from a Gospel point of view: The more you gain in knowledge and true understanding, the more set your path in life is become, until at last there really is no choosing, only doing what you know you must do to live rightly.
2 comments:
I love that quote. Thanks for sharing it.
Hi you left a comment on my blog for the giveaway but did not leave an email - please edit your blogger profile to make your email viewable or I will not be able to contact you if you win - good luck!
Post a Comment