Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Melinda's Photo Scavenger Hunt

Since I got a new camera, I've let Melinda have my old camera - she knew how to take pictures with it already, anyway! It's been a lot of fun to see what she takes pictures of. Random toys, morning sunshine through closed blinds, doorknobs, and so on. It's especially fun to see everything from her unique height perspective!

I can't remember where I got the idea (it was very recently... either Family Fun magazine, or a random blog post I ran across somewhere), but it was for a photo scavenger hunt. The idea is to make a list of things to find, and send the child off to take pictures of them.

Here's what I did with Melinda, and the pictures she took! (With my explanation when appropriate.)

1) Something with spots (dalmatian toy among a large mess on my front room floor)














2) Something green (the pot, although the grass is nice and green too!)














3) Something blue














4) Something up very high (games at the top of our bookcase)














5) Something underneath (this was on the bottom shelf of our tall bookcase)














6) Something dark (my bedroom at the end of the hall)














7) Something light (outside)














8) Something with words (she turned around and saw the TV on, with words!)














9) Something with pictures (front of a cookbook)














10) Something with a door














11) Something yummy (sliced apples...yes, lunch is still on the table.... ... ...)














12) Something silly (Raggedy Andy was under Alex's car seat. I think she was going for that, and not just Andy's leg. This clue was the one she needed the most prompting for.)














13) Something you wear (Daddy's socks, in the middle of my front room floor.)














14) Something you drink (A close up of her Thermos, where we always have water available for her.)














15) Something you don't like (I had to ask her about this one, she said "not enough pennies". To her, that means she wants a lot of pennies to play with and isn't happy that I won't give her more out of the piggy bank.)














16) Something very small (the stamp)














17) Something very big (apparently the toy dinosaur is her interpretation of "very big".)

5 comments:

Ally said...

Our 4yo is camera-happy these days. For all the blurry photos she gets, though, she doesn't do too bad! Some of the shots are ones I'm actually going to keep, and may be better than I could even do myself! (haha) :D

Great idea about having a scavenger hunt, I'm going to remember that one.

Anonymous said...

What a cool idea. Kaija just had a date Saturday night with Derek Kent and another couple. They went to WallyWorld and had a phote scavenger hunt. Dad and I thought it was a great idea for them too. After the hunt, each couple purchased food for the other set to eat at Kent's home. AND nice picture taking...Melinda :0)

Rogers said...

That sounds like a very fun FHE activity. We have two digital cameras. So, maybe some day when Dad is home (he has one of the two) we can split up and each take a couple of kids and then see what the other ones found. COOL IDEA!!!

Emily said...

Hey, that plum-colored triceratops has a twin in our house...ah, Zoe's first plush dinosaur. Good times.

I love this photo scavenger hunt idea! Zoe will soon be receiving a kid digital camera for her birthday from my dad/stepmom, so this will be a great activity for the new toy!

And Melinda and Jacob holding Jesse? Hilarious. Zoe was "holding" me on the couch the other day and yanking up her shirt to give me "meemees." She's been weaned almost a year, but still remembers!

The Duckers said...

That is really fun. I'll have to keep that in mind for when Carson gets a little bit older.
I'm not ready for him to run around with the camera quite yet.