Monday, March 2, 2009

Midnight Mouse Massacre

A few weeks ago, after noticing some mouse droppings in the kitchen, we bought some mouse traps.  (Side note:  I'm really beginning to wonder, at this point, if mouse-free apartment living is even possible.)  The first night we set them out, one trap caught a mouse. 

Then a few weeks passed, and nothing was getting caught.  I took a closer look at the traps, and wouldn't you know it - all the bait had been cleanly removed, but none of the traps had triggered.  So we rebaited them.  Put them in all the spots I know those mice are going.  BUT, it was the same story the next day.  Every single trap was clean, not a single mouse caught.  Now I was starting to get a bit furious!!  How dare those mice outsmart the traps!!!  I don't want to feed them free handouts, I want to catch them and get them out of my home!!!

Now, I just have to say, for the record, that I am not a huge fan of live traps.  I don't want to have to drive these house-invading mice and drop them off in a field somewhere.  I just want them gone.  It does make me a bit sad that I'm killing them when they get caught in my traps, and it makes me feel a bit guilty when I see them dead, (because they *do* look so cute and innocent...when they're not actively streaking across my house) but overall, I'm okay with the traps that kill mice. 

We bought a different style of trap, since the others obviously weren't cutting it, put bait on the indicated spot, set them up exactly as instructed.  Next day, licked clean again. 
GRRRRrrrrrrRRRRRRRRRRR!!! 

So Jesse tried something else - he put the bait waaaay back in the trap, so they wouldn't be able to reach it from the sides or anything.  And then he pushed the trigger plate about halfway down - just before it reached the trigger point.  Because, you know, mice are small and lightweight.  We had to put more pressure on them ourselves to get them to set off than we thought a mouse would put on it with its entire body. 

After they were set and put in place, we went to bed.  Not 10 minutes later, we heard a bit of a clatter.  We ran off to the kitchen, and there was a dead mouse, caught in the trap.  Hooray!!!  Success!!  We re-set it and went back to bed.  A bit later, another clatter.  Another dead mouse!

And you know, we caught four mice in the same trap, in the same spot in our kitchen, within 1.5 hours.  No more in the morning, though.  Maybe that was all of them?  Those four plus the one from a few weeks earlier?  I'm not holding my breath, though.  I know enough about mice reproduction that I don't doubt the possibility of a lot more.  Especially with the cold weather outside.  And the neighbors upstairs who leave piles of trash out on their porch for weeks at a time.  But it's nice to finally see some good results with our traps. 

And speaking of cold weather - we got a big snowstorm last night!  And actually, it's still snowing right now.  Why do we always seem to get the really good storms right before spring starts?  When I'm so tired of cold weather and so anxious for spring, and not really feeling up to the idea of venturing outdoors to really enjoy it?  But March has definitely come in like a lion.  I'm anxioulsy looking forward to seeing it go out like a lamb.  We've had a few days recently with mild temperatures and a nice mild, perhaps even warm breeze, and it just feels heavenly.  I want more of that!  And the blossoming trees, the green grass, the budding flowers!  Oh, I can't wait for spring.  Going outside without spending half an hour bundling up three kids.  Basking in sunshine.  Even if I have to wait a few weeks, I was reminded of some fantastic news this week - Daylight Saving Time begins on March 8th!!  I can't wait for the lighter evenings, starting just next weekend!!

7 comments:

Emily said...

There is almost nothing that gets James as mad as mice. He declared war on them in our house a while back, and won (part of the solution was closing up holes [!!!] in the walls of our kitchen when he had to take out all the cabinets for a different project). Oh, they're terrible. And you could totally complain to your management about the upstairs neighbors' trash, especially now that you can give them the four-mice-in-1.5-hours story. Here's to a skitter-free apartment for the Newsons!

The Duckers said...

That's so gross about the mice!! YUCK! But hooray for catching them.
March has come in like a lamb for us, but I think we're finally getting snow the next couple of days, but the temps are still supposed to be in the 40's???
I love this warmer weather!

Jenni said...

I remember my mom telling me about the night that it was "clackCLACKclackCLACKclack" and they caught I think 9 mice in one night? 4 traps... Yeah, crazy.
I remember at one point my dad put a 'pioneer mouse trap' in teh shed...it was a 5 gallon bucket half full of water, with scrap of wood as a ramp going up it. He balanced a stick across the bucket and put a mound of peanut butter on it...mice run up the ramp, jump for the PB, and land in the water and drown. We caught a few that way--and no resetting!! (I heard a story of someone who caught so many in one night that the last few mice to fall in didn't drown--the water was totally full of mouse bodies and the last few just ran around on top of them!!! now THAT is EWWWWW!!!!!!!)


Anyway, glad your mice are gone! We don't get many rodents here--it's too cold. Alaska is the one state with no snakes at all. Nice, eh?

Anonymous said...

good story, nasty critters, but I love the graphics that you always seem to put with them.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Congrats on catching all those mice! We have one or two more I trapped in when I sealed their hole and we're still trying to get rid of them. I may have to resort to standard traps.

Ally said...

I am just going crazy waiting for Spring to arrive! Just can hardly wait.

I'm not a big fan of the Spring daylight savings change, although I agree it is nice to have the extra evening daylight.

Way to go on the massacre! I hate mice. That was tough for me to read. But I struggled through it, to celebrate your victory with you. :) Hopefully they'll all be that way! Sorry about the problem, though. That's no good.

The Washburns said...

Thanks Becky! It gives me hope because I just found one in my house 5 minutes ago! Yuck!