Saturday, February 23, 2008

New bunk bed

Jesse got a raise at work, quite a substantial one. Honestly, he's be very underpaid for a while now, but not one to raise a stink about it. At any rate, it's quite the blessing. And there's something I've been wanting to get for the kids for at least a year now: A bunk bed from IKEA.

It's really short as far as bunk beds go. Standing up, the top railing of the top bunk comes to just under shoulder height for me.

Anyway, since we have a little wiggle room in our budget now, we decided to finally go out and get this for the kids. Up till now, they've been basically sharing the twin mattress on the floor, or sometimes separating themselves, with one of them in the crib-turned-toddler bed. (And it just so happens that Melinda had been complaining for the last several days about her mattress being on the floor. She wanted it up high, like Mommy and Daddy's bed is, now!)

So we made the trip down to IKEA this past Thursday night, attempting to squeeze it in between a Cub Scouts meeting that Jesse needed to attend. The traffic was horrible, though, and while we made our list of items to grab easily and quickly, the self-checkout was kind of a nightmare and took much longer than it should have, with only one attendant to help everyone who ran into a kink - which was just about every single person on 4 different machines. By the time we were out of the store, the kids were going nuts (well, Jacob at least - he missed his nap). And we had to take Jesse straight to his meeting instead of going home. He thought he'd be in there for 5-10 minutes, just long enough to get info on Day Camp. But guess what? The kids and I waited in the van for a full hour and 2 minutes. And this was after I had told myself that if Jesse wasn't back in an hour, I'd be going out to look for a disabled body on the ground. The night was dark and quiet enough to make my mind go there, especially since I didn't actually see him go into a door.

But he did make it back, grumbling about stupid meetings lasting 20 times longer than they needed to, for no good reason, and we made it home around 8:30 pm. Jacob had fallen asleep in the car while we waited for Jesse, so I tucked him into our bedroom. Jesse decided to go ahead and tackle the assembly that night, because he and Melinda were both excited about it. And since Jacob was out of the picture, it really was a good time for an involved furniture assembly project. I "helped" by sorting the pieces and reading the directions.

Here's the first completed side:



















Melinda was doing great at going through the different hardware pieces and picking out the right ones. I think her favorite part, though, was inserting the wooden pegs into the many, many holes. Nice and easy job! Then she got in on some hexagonal screwing action:














And before long, we had enough pieces to stand the whole thing up and put it together. Melinda was getting pretty tired by this point, and it was all we could do to keep her focused on handing Jesse one screw at a time, instead of jabbering in some sort of nonsensical language and just plain not paying attention to anything.














Finally, assembly was done. We even got the neat little tent set up on top! Then we quickly got out the new mattresses (also IKEA), threw some sheets on them, put the pillows and blankets on, and finished up at about 10:30pm!!! Whew! Melinda was more than happy to climb into bed on the top bunk, up under the canopy. Although she has mentioned that she'd like a window in the canopy. I think I can handle that easily enough, by cutting out a circle and sewing some clear vinyl on it.

I'll have to rearrange some pictures on the wall, but otherwise, we're set! Jacob was thrilled when he saw it set up the next morning, and he's been hard at practice to get up and down the ladder easily. Of course, it's been really difficult to get them to sleep since we've gotten it - the novelty of a bunk bed will take a while to wear off, I think. But hopefully before the new baby interrupts all of our night schedules. Neither one of them can decide whether they want to sleep on top or bottom, separately or apart, etc., so there's a lot of going up and down and whining and arguing before they end up falling asleep. Still, it's obvious that they love it. Melinda came and told me, after she and Jacob had been playing in the bedroom for a while, that they had a great "adventure". The bed was a boat, and they got sucked up in a tornado (that's a nod to The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker game that she loved to watch Jesse play on the Game Cube this past year), and then the boat ran into some sand, and on and on and on. It did sound like quite the adventure, and she was thrilled to re-tell it!

At any rate, this bunk bed will probably be our one "splurge" with the pay raise. Despite how badly I want a new set of couches, or how nice it would be to get Jesse a car that's not about to fall apart any second... We're hoping to get a good savings going, now, after so long of having practically nothing saved at all.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Pigs Fly post below is very cute.

We got so lucky with the boys bunk bed. We found a free one on Craigslist. It is metal, painted red and in excellent shape.

The Duckers said...

YAY for bunkbeds. You've mentioned to me at least twice that you wanted this particular one! Good for you guys!!

Rogers said...

That's one of the most fun looking bunk beds I've seen - besides the one with the slide coming off the top bunk (instead of having to go down the ladder!!) I'm so excited for you guys.

And way to go on having a home birth. I hope you enjoy and much and Steve and I did :)

Jacy

Ally said...

Looks like a wonderfully fun project (minues the waiting time in the car) completed just in the nick of time! :D

I'm sure the kids will love it.