Thursday, February 28, 2008

I got an award for being awesome!

Okay, it wasn't specifically for being awesome.

But we did have the Cub Scouts Blue & Gold dinner this past Wednesday night. It went very nicely, aside from starting at a very crazy 7pm, with so many families bringing young kids in tow. Combine the two very big "no-no's" of kids eating a very late dinner and kids being up long past their bedtime, and you have a recipe for an extremely long, tiring night. But I digress. Back to my award! :)

At the end of the very long awards presentation (one of the boys even got his Arrow of Light badge...I'm new to this whole scouting thing, so that was definitely a learning experience), they asked Jesse to come up, as well as "Sister Newson". I blinked, looked at Jesse, and asked, "They want me to come up front?" I couldn't imagine why. I was rather embarrassed. But they wanted to give me an award (an actual certificate, mind you!) called the "Scouter's Wife Award". I kid you not. This thing actually has a large, golden, embossed scout symbol on it. It says, "Becky Newson, whose devoted support of her husband's Scouting has made possible his service to youth." Signed by the Den Leader, and one of the Bishopric members (it says "COR" under his name - does that make him a coordinator or something?), and [insert me giggling quietly] also by Jesse. The Den Leader made a very small speech about how impossible it would be for anyone to serve in Scouting without the large support of their spouse. I said a bashful thank you, and waddled (remember, 36 weeks pregnant, folks!) back to my seat as quickly as possible.

It's nice to be thought of and thanked, that's for sure, especially for something so unexpected (I mean, doesn't every wife need to support her husband's calling?). And I guess I do help out a bit. I screen his email and make sure he's paying attention and following up, at very least! And I do have to deal with him being out of the home at least one evening a night for Scouts, and encourage him to go to his crazy long Roundtable meetings even when he knows that he'll be there forever for very little logical reason. Now if only I were supportive enough to help him track down a Scouting shirt that he keeps being badgered about!

OH! Side story that Jesse related to me: The Arrow of Light committee, who did the award presentation (rather ceremoniously!), were taking bets on their way to our dinner- whether we would be serving chicken breasts or spaghetti. They commented to someone that we totally blew them out of the water! The theme was the Chinese New Year, so we had quite an array of Chinese-themed foods. Sweet & Sour Chicken and another version of Chinese Chicken were served as the main course, and little egg rolls were also provided...and fortune cookies, of course. Attendees were asked to bring sides in theme. I ventured out on a limb and made vegetable chow mein, although a *lot* of the other dishes were some variety of broccoli and carrots, it was almost funny. But yeah, it was fun to hear their expectations compared to what we actually had. (And a note to myself - in the future, keep to Jesse's potluck rule: Never bring more than would feed your own family, no matter how much they ask for. Otherwise you go home with enough leftovers to feed you for three days.)

In other completely unrelated news, but still worthy of mention: We were out enough today that we couldn't continue the diaper-less experience of Jacob and the potty. But while we were home, and Jacob in his diaper, he did come to me and tell me that he wanted to poop on the potty. I again helped him with getting his pants and diaper off, and sure enough, a few minutes later he came running down the hall to tell me he did it!! I am very proud of him! And then he did it again this evening, a bit before bedtime. But he had to go a little bit more after we had already tucked him in for the night, and I guess he didn't realize he can call for us. He just stood at the bedroom door, wiggling it enough to make me annoyed enough to get up and put him back in bed...but when he saw me he quickly said, "I pooped, mommy" and grabbed at his diaper to make sure I understood, I guess. Still - it's very cool that he's taking so much initiative in this potty stuff!

4 comments:

The Duckers said...

Congrats with your award and yummy dinner! I've been craving chinese food for a few weeks now. hmm...I'll have to take care of that soon.

On a completely different note, my friend had a baby naturally. I'm not sure if she had an epidural or not, anyway....no tearing...10lbs 14 oz.

Amazing if I do say so myself!!!!

Anonymous said...

Yeah... for the wives! You would be surprised at the number of wives that are NOT supportive of husbands and some of the demands of their callings. I've heard your Dad talk about men who have been considered for Bishops, but because of the wife, they were passed over. Keep up the hard, but good work. I think it's a cool thing for Jesse's name to be on the certificate also.

Ally said...

It's GREAT that he's taking the potty initiative! That's awesome. :)

And congratulations to you on the award. It sounds like a fabulous dinner and activity - as scouting goes... (ha, ha) ;)

You're obviously a wonderful wife, and mother.

Holly (2 Kids and Tired) said...

I came over from Magirk's blog. She can vouch for me! Cool award. It's always nice to be recognized. I was just released as Wolf Leader, and we just had our Blue and Gold dinner too, and we did Hawaiian Haystacks (although we called them Chinese Haystacks). Pinewood Derby is up next and all I have to do is show up with my son. I don't have to be in charge this year!