Friday, February 1, 2008

Winter didn't get the Memo

Winter is for snow!!! Right?!? Apparently, not around here. Last year, we got hardly any snow. I had all this snow gear for Melinda, ready to go, and it snowed less than a handful of times. This year, we've gotten all of 2 snows so far. It's been freezing cold since the last snow, but what happens in the last day or two? The weather warms up. Just in time for the clouds to roll in, and be too warm to snow. Definitely not snowing. Today it's a downpour of a rain. The last time it rained this much, it was a spring thunderstorm, and the kids splashed in the puddles. Like this:






































Now, here we are on the very first day of February. The day before Groundhog Day. And look what I see outside!! Just look!!
This is NOT snow!! This puddle is BIGGER than the puddle made by the spring thunderstorm that we splashed in last year! And this puddle is still growing!! It's still a downpour out there! No stopping in sight! Can you just imagine how much snow we would have right now if it were 8 degrees cooler?? Surely at least 4 or 5 feet! Oh the fun that would be, a good dumping of snow! But instead we get gray, wet, sloppy rain. *sigh*

Notice in this picture, you can even see the carrot in the foreground, the same carrot that was in our leaning snowman. The snowman that only finally melted, completely, a couple days ago. Because it was just that cold, even with days and days of sunshine. It was that cold, until a couple days ago, when, like I said, it suddenly decided to warm up enough to turn any potential precipitation into rain instead of snow. Bleh! It's enough rain to warrant a weather alert. And to close 21 schools and/or businesses in the area.

It's not that I *just love* going out in the snow. Or having my kids beg tirelessly to have me let them go out in the snow to play. Or even the cold that goes along with snow, or the scraping of car windows, or the slippery roads, or the ridiculous amounts of salt they cover the roads with at the first hint of snow. I just think it's pretty. And can be fun, if I'm in the right mood. But I just don't like rain that much. A good thunderstorm, sure! Love a good storm! But rain... gray, sloppy, wet, depressing rain.... Snow is so much better than that. Any day.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a difference an area makes. Jacy's place has just been dumped on with snow. They were told when they moved to just south of Spokane (Cheney) that school is NEVER cancelled due to snow. Their school district has been out this entire week! Even church was cancelled this past Sunday. And of course, Steve is working on this side of the mountain and Jacy does most of the snow shoveling. It is hard work.

Becky N. said...

It *is* funny how different areas can be. Many, many schools were delayed 2 hours today because last night there was a forecast calling for a chance of freezing rain (thus, slippery roads). Apparently nobody actually wakes up in the morning to check the weather before they make the call, like they did back in Washington? I don't get it. They seriously cancel and delay schools based on forecasts around here. And freak out if anything actually accumulates. Even though, for this region, regular winter storms should be expected!

I'm sorry to hear that Jacy is dealing with all that snow and shoveling and school being canceled. I hope Steve will be able to get home when he's supposed to!

The Duckers said...

I am sooo sorry about the yucky rain!!! We've been getting a good amount of snow here too. Snow is WAY better than rain. It makes me all depressed and stuff! I love the sunshine and the snow!

Anonymous said...

I am sorry for the rain! I don't like the rain but I also don't like the snow! If it snows Steve doesn't like me to drive, but if it rains then i am okay! That much rain however is just insane! It looks like your kids had a great time anyway jumping in it! That is always fun! I remember doing that growing up. But we usually went to the school to do that and we came back dirt dirty instead of mud dirty!