Saturday, May 17, 2008

Birds on the porch

We recently refilled our homemade bird feeder on our porch, at Melinda's insistence. A lot of seeds were spilled all over the porch and in the "garden" area right next to it, and the birds have been eager to come and help themselves. I was able to sit back on the couch and take pictures of them with the optical zoom on my camera- getting too close scares them away.

We had a cute baby bird and his parent come. I didn't even realize it was a baby bird until I saw the parent feeding it! They came at least 5 different times yesterday afternoon.

Here's the baby bird opening his mouth wide, saying "feed me!"
A couple different shots of the baby bird getting fed:

And cute fuzzy baby bird sitting on our brick wall:



We also have a couple cardinals that come to eat the seeds. The males are bright red, and females are a bit duller/browner overall but still have a really bright beak. We also have small pigeons that visit, but I haven't taken pictures of any of them.

2 comments:

The Duckers said...

That's so cool about the baby bird. I think I've always figured that once they can fly away from the nest they start feeding themselves. Apparently I'm wrong.
The Cardinals are BEAUTIFUL! That is so fun that THEY come around.

Becky N. said...

I know! I thought the same thing. I was fascinated by the "baby" bird being fed. In the video it was even pecking around by itself, too!
I agree- Cardinals are beautiful. They have some freakishly annoying/ear-piercing calls, though. And I saw my first Orioles last week! That was cool.