Friday, May 23, 2008

Dumped in

This morning I was throwing things into the crock pot for dinner tonight. Cafe Rio burritos, and the meat mix is made with pork tenderloin, and a bunch of different stuff for the sauce. I was almost done when Jacob ran to grab a stool so he could watch what I was doing. He watched me put in some brown sugar, some apple cider vinegar, and then I started the last ingredient, garlic. I thought I had plenty of garlic, but it turns out one bunch of them was pretty old and basically rotten looking. So I grabbed the garlic powder to use as a substitute for the rest of the cloves, put a few scoops in, and then started cleaning up after myself. I turned around to face the sink and clean the garlic press. Jacob continued to stand at the stool by the crock pot.

That was my first mistake.

I wasn't listening very closely to his ramblings. That was my second mistake. I suddenly processed the fact that he said, "Put the lid back on?", so I turned around to see what he was doing. I had left the garlic powder on the counter next to him. That was my third mistake.

As I turned around and saw him putting the lid back onto the garlic powder (which I'm fairly sure he removed by himself, first), I saw that the garlic powder jar was empty. Completely and totally empty. I think that was the first time in my life I did one of those shocked, audible gasps of horror at my realization of what had happened. Jacob had dumped about 5 or 6 extra *tablespoons* worth of garlic powder into the crockpot. And the label says 1/8 of a teaspoon is equal to one clove of garlic.

So I quickly grabbed a tablespoon and started scooping out powder as best I could, for my dear life. A lot of it had already absorbed into the liquids in the pot, so I'm not sure I even managed to get out half of what Jacob added. But I did my best.

I guess we'll hope that dinner isn't ruined. We've always tended to add more garlic to recipes anyway, since we like garlic so much, but I'm nervous this time. Very, very nervous.

Lesson? Don't ever turn your back to your 2.5 year old child who likes to "help" make dinner, especially when he is within easy reach of an open pot and handy ingredients.

5 comments:

The Duckers said...

Let us know how it turned out! I can't wait to hear the news!!!!

Rogers said...

Me, too. I want to know!!

Becky N. said...

Everything turned out just fine, Phew!!! Not too garlic-tasting at all. Good thing I got to blog about it... Jesse didn't seem too entertained my my story at all. (*pout!*)

It's a really yummy tangy shredded meat, and I have *tons* of it left. TONS! What other things can I do with shredded meat? Pulled pork sandwiches, and more burritos, obviously... any other ideas?

The Duckers said...

Chalupas. Kind of same as burritos.
I'll keep thinking.
And look! Jacob's already becoming a cook!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

How about some meat in a stew?
Enchiladas
Taquitos (rolled up meat in a flour tortilla and deep fried)