I seem to recall a saying: "The first 12 weeks are the hardest." (Or is it 6 weeks? I can't remember.) Bottom line, the 12th week also marks the end of the "fourth trimester". And it's easy to see why.
Baby Alex is growing in leaps and bounds. He's becoming less of a nothing-but-eating-and-sleeping newborn and more of an individual with personality and likes and dislikes. He's treating us to lots of "talking" and beginnings of giggles, and he's playing with toys (mostly the hanging from a bar kind, although he is starting to grab toys on the floor). He's got awesome head control, he's spinning around 360 degrees on the floor, and he's getting very close to figuring out how to roll onto his stomach. He's definitely in size 6 month clothing, and probably close to 16 pounds now, if he's kept growing at the same rate (and I think he has).
His favorite thing is the big sister, Melinda. Doesn't matter what she's doing or saying, he's just all grins for her, and will talk his tongue off with her if given a chance. Jacob is starting to really entertain Alex, too, but Jacob still tends to be a little too "in your face" for Alex's tastes. There's just something special about an older sister, I guess. :)
Alex is a good baby to have for the 3rd time around. He is the first one of our kids to actually fall asleep in the middle of playing on the floor with his toys. And he does it regularly, too! At least once a day, now. Melinda and Jacob, as babies, each only fell asleep once all by themselves. We still have occasional struggles with getting Alex to sleep, when the only thing that will get him to calm down enough to actually sleep is to be tucked snugly inside the pouch carrier, but those times are getting much less frequent, nowadays. He's also surprised me a couple times and slept a full 7-8 hours overnight. And while that is the exception to the rule, most nights he sleeps a 5 hour stretch, followed by a couple 3-4 hour stretches. I'm feeling about as well rested as possible with 3 kids under 5 in my home!
Alex's smiles are just to die for, don't you think? 12 weeks old!! 3 months is right around the corner!
4 comments:
such a sweet smile :)
What a gorgeous boy!
Ah! Little guy! He's so cute.
Oh, he's so adorable!! :-D Love that picture.
Seriously, I know you gave birth to him and not me, but I can't believe it's been 12 weeks already! It seems like just yesterday I was reading your post about his birth....
With twins, some said the first 6 months were the hardest, others said the first year, and now we're at 19 months, and I'm still wondering when it gets easier!! :-S (haha)
Post a Comment