Monday, January 5, 2009

A Belated Christmas Entry

I could be sneaky and back-date this post so it looks like I actually took the time to write it during the holidays. But I won't. I'll simply admit to the fact that I allowed myself to be lazy and relax as much as possible during the Christmas season, and I don't regret it. Except for now when I'm trying to break out of the laziness and get back into the normal swing of things. That part isn't so fun. But we all need a good rest every now and then, don't we? And what better time to take that rest than during a celebration of the birth of the Savior? I never did like birth to be a chaotic, noisy thing, anyway. Much better to enjoy the occasion quietly. :)

Anyway....

We didn't do our typical drive-around-looking-at-Christmas-lights thing this year. The one where we usually crank up the Christmas music in our car, while we sip on a 7-11 Slurpee because of a random whim we had several years ago which started a tradition, all while driving around randomly, sometimes getting ourselves lost, looking at all the nice and lovely ways people decorated their homes with lights. Nope, didn't do that this year.

Instead, we went down to the Washington, D.C. temple. Which is actually in Kensington, Maryland. But close enough, right? Just after Thanksgiving, they put up a ton of Christmas lights on the grounds, mostly right around the visitor's center. There's also a live Nativity (I really pity the couples who participated in this during the frigid nights we had recently!!), and musical performances, and lots of wonderfully decorated Christmas trees inside the visitor's center. In years past, there was also a large collection of Nativity scenes from all over the world, but this year, in it's place, was a gallery of Christ-centered photographs. They were photographed in the style of paintings... but they were with real people... I liked the general idea behind them, and the sentiment, but I definitely prefer an actual painting to a re-enacted type of photograph.

But there I go getting off track, again.

We made the ~1hr drive down to the temple. I always love going down there, and seeing it suddenly come into view as you come around a bend of the highway. It's really an amazing sight, and such a beautiful temple. If I'm not careful, it may yet become my favorite temple of all! Gasp!! How will I ever manage to say goodbye to Baltimore if I keep falling in love with pieces of life around here?!

It was a pretty cold night. We intended, as I blogged about a couple weeks ago, to go on a Monday night. However, that particular Monday night would have been absolutely freezing. It was in the low 20's outside, with a very strong wind, so it would have felt much closer to 10 degrees. We decided we weren't up for that, so we waited until Tuesday. Which was a wise decision - because, while Tuesday was still cold, in the low 30's, there wasn't much of a wind at all. And the kids still complained about the cold, but at least it wasn't so bad that we were able to wander around outside and actually enjoy the lights we went all that way to see. :)

The lights are just so awesome. I love the way they wrap them around every tree and bush, and even add extra little flower-shaped light configurations on the ground like it's springtime or something. There are so many colors, and then there's even the reflection pond to add a little more sparkle to the night. I love to see it, it's all so wonderful. But it was also very crowded when we went.

I was hoping to get into the musical performance, featuring Jenny Oaks Baker. But there was a line wrapping and weaving all throughout the visitor's center... and with three kids, there was no way I was going to stand in a line going nowhere for half an hour. Or more. So we wandered in and out, enjoyed the lights, watched a short Christ-centered film, saw the live Nativity.... I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised by how Melinda and Jacob liked the Nativity. I really would have thought they'd be bored. There wasn't much to watch, after all, just a man and a woman dressed like Joseph and Mary, with a narration of the scriptural account of Christ's birth. But they stood and watched it as if it were the most interesting thing they've ever seen. That made me happy. :)

By the time we wandered into the Visitor's Center for the third time, they were just announcing that, due to the unexpectedly large crowd (and boy, was it!!), they were pleased to offer a third show. So we stuck around for a while longer, just long enough to wander around outside a little more, get all the kids a potty break, and hop into the back of the now-moving line. It was getting late by this point, it was almost 9pm. And we still had the long drive back to think about, but half the reason I wanted to go was to enjoy a performance. I think college spoiled me with how easily I could go see something for free, when they were offered so regularly.

So, Jenny Oaks Baker is apparently one of America's most accomplished classical violinists. Neat! But it was truly a wonderful thing to listen to her perform. She got on stage and was just so pleasant and friendly with the way she introduced each of the people performing along with her, and each of the pieces she was going to play. And she played with such energy and spirit! I really feel like I want to run out and buy a CD now, quite honestly! My favorite was the performances of Ave Maria (oh my goodness, I don't think you can top the beauty and serenity they conveyed!), and .... shoot. My mind is drawing a complete, horrifying blank. There was a very up-beat piece they played last, in a Scottish style. I Saw Three Ships? I don't think that was it. But it could have been. I don't know... which is really driving me crazy, because I spent at least half an hour of the drive home humming it to myself. It's one I know fairly well in it's traditional version. Anyway, it was fantastic. I loved the style of it, a very energetic, celebratory arrangement. There was even audience participation - the woman on percussion would stand up and motion to clap during certain parts. Jacob and Alex both got a huge kick out of that. I love Jacob's little mischeivous grin!! Alex spent most of the perfromance craning his head past my shoulder to make lovey-eyes at a Sister Missionary acting as an usher. Oh, he's such a tease! ;)

We finally got back home (with Alex deciding that he was now very tired and very hungry during the last 10 minutes, and letting us know quite loudly!) at just after 10:30pm. Thank goodness the kids went to sleep easily, but the rest of the night went too quickly. I had to work through bleary eyes to finish up hand-stitching the seam of one of the snakes that Grandma Newson sent for the boys, and finished just at midnight. Thank goodness I did! There certainly wouldn't have been any time for it on Christmas Eve. Which is another post that I'll get around to very very soon. :)

AHHHH!! I remembered! It was Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring. SEE! I knew I knew what song it was! My brain is just extra fried today, for no real reason. ;)

Here are some pictures for you to enjoy of our night at the DC temple!
Though... again, a reminder that I am a poor photographer, and most of these were taken, of course, not only in the dark, but also often while I was walking, or even just trying to stand still with a baby strapped onto me. So... don't expect fantastic quality. Just enjoy the scenes. :)

This is just outside the visitor's center.

Looking toward the visitor's center again (you can see the statue of Christ through the window), with the reflection pool in front of us.

One of the gorgeous trees inside the visitor's center, to the side of the Christus.

Another tree to the side of the Christus.
Melinda getting grabby with the tree.
Melinda and Jacob in front of the Christus. Ahh, peace...

The whole family, courtesy of a passing stranger, with the temple behind us. Jacob's making a goofy face... licking his lips, I think, but it's still funny to look at.

Same spot, no family, no flash.

Looking at the temple from the end of the path. Deep purple, white, and black make a lovely combination, don't they?

The fountain and purple-lined trees at the opposite end of the path, in front of the temple.

P.S. - Please don't miss the fact that there are two other new Christmas-related posts below this one!! Especially the last one, it's got the most detail and snark! tee-hee. :)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh...what a nice night and the purple is gorgeous. Yeah, we are hoping you don't get too attached to the east coast either.

Stephanie said...

Oooh. That second photo is lovely - and I'm sure the lights were even more spectacular in "real life." It's hard to capture that kind of thing on camera.

Mindy Williams said...

I also love that temple at Christmas time. We did that right before we left in 2007. So randomly wanted to tell you that I grew up with Jenny Oaks Baker. She is my sister's age (1 grade ahead of me) but we went to elementary all thru high school together. Small world huh? She really is a nice person and her family as you can imagine is pretty great too.

Becky N. said...

That's so neat, Mindy! Really does make the world feel small. :) I really could tell that she was a very nice person.

Mindy Williams said...

SO even smaller world as I read about Jesse's grandma (sorry for your loss) and that she lived in Idaho Falls, Id--Bart was born there and his grandparents lived there forever as well. They died about 5 or 6 yrs ago. Seriously, we are all connected in ways we may never figure out. Hope that at least Jesse can go to the funeral. Thanks for your Sunday thoughts.