This is a follow-up to yesterday's post.
I love it when I can place a name to a symptom. Once I do, a whole world of reading is available on the internet. And yeah...this is definitely what I have.
Does that last paragraph sound exactly like my previous post, or what?!?The symptoms vary from person to person, but almost all women who have it experience substantial pubic pain. Tenderness and pain down low in the front is common, but often this pain feels as if it's inside. The pubic area is generally very tender to the touch; many moms find it painful when the doctor or midwife pushes down on the pubic bone while measuring the uterus (fundal height).
Any activity that involves lifting one leg at a time or parting the legs tends to be particularly painful. Lifting the leg to put on clothes, getting out of a car, bending over, sitting down or getting up, walking up stairs, standing on one leg, lifting heavy objects, and walking in general tend to be difficult at times. Many women report that moving or turning over in bed is especially excruciating.
Looks like chiropractic care may or may not help. I'm asking around for a good prenatal chiro right now, and if I get a good recommendation, I'll try out at least one adjustment. Otherwise, here are suggestions from the same resource:
Use a pillow between your legs when sleeping; body pillows are a great investment! (already do this one)I've been sitting on my exercise ball on rocking my hips since yesterday evening, and it seems to have helped. I don't hurt quite so much today. Although last night I absolutely could not get comfortable in a side-lying position. I ended up piling up what seemed like 20 pillows behind me, so that I could sleep in a semi-reclining position. Not the most comfortable thing in the world, and I woke up more frequently than I would have liked, but at least my pelvis wasn't bothering me.
Use a pillow under your 'bump' (pregnancy tummy) when sleeping (yup, this one too)
Keep your legs and hips as parallel/symmetrical as possible when moving or turning in bed (hard hard hard to do, but a little easier if you don't remove the pillow first)
Some women also find it helpful to have their partners stabilize their hips and hold them 'together' when rolling over in bed or otherwise adjusting position
Some women report a waterbed mattress to be helpful
Swimming may help relieve pressure on the joint (too bad the pool is closed till summer!)
Deep water aerobics or deep water running may be helpful as well
Keep your legs close together and move symmetrically
When standing, stand symmetrically, with your weight evenly distributed through both legs
Sit down to get dressed, especially when putting on underwear or pants (it may help, but you still have to lift a leg to get clothes on, you know?)
Avoid 'straddle' movements
Swing your legs together as a unit when getting in and out of cars; use plastics or something smooth and slippery (like a garbage bag) on the car seat to help you enter car backwards and then turn your legs as a unit
An ice pack may feel soothing and help reduce inflammation in the pubic area
Move slowly and without sudden movements
If bending over to pick up objects is difficult, there are devices available that can help with this
Some women report that pelvic binders/maternity support belts are helpful for pelvic pain; brands in the U.S. include Prenatal Cradle or BabyHugger or the Reenie Belt. However, if the pelvic bones are really misaligned, some women report more pain with these. Listen to your body on whether to use these.
Other information on pubic symphysis I found helpful:
Be extremely careful of birth positioning. Certain positions are better than others. Avoid stirrups!
- Don't give birth on your back - Many cases of pubic symphysis injury occur in this position
- Don't give birth semi-sitting - This tends to force the baby's head against the pubic symphysis, putting pressure on it to 'give' more. It also prevents the coccyx/tailbone and sacrum from moving out of the way during birth, and thus the only joint available with any 'give' to it would be the pubic symphysis, which puts it at greater risk for damage
- Don't use stirrups - This widens the gap between the legs and strains the pubic symphysis
- Use 'alternative' birth positions - These include standing, kneeling, and all fours in particular. You may have to search for a provider that is comfortable using these positions throughout labor. Some doctors will 'permit' women to use alternative positions until just before baby's head crowns, but often want the woman back in the traditional stirrups or semi-sitting position for crowning of the head and delivery of the shoulders. However, crowning and birth of the shoulders is the most critical time for prevent pubic symphysis damage, so really look for a doctor or midwife that is willing to 'let' a woman be in whatever position feels best to her for birth. If you must be in a more 'traditional' position because of other concerns, try side-lying as this takes the pressure off of the pubic symphysis and allows the coccyx and sacrum to move somewhat. Otherwise, all-fours or leaning back over a birth ball may be best
- Listen to your body - Your body usually will tell you what position you need to take in order to help baby out while avoiding damage to your joint. This may be contrary to what your nurses or provider are telling you, but give preference to the positions that feel best to you. For example, sitting forward in a "C" is the position promoted in most hospitals, but Kmom found arching the back to be most helpful. This helped her baby move under the pubic arch and be born rapidly, while in the traditional "C" semi-sitting position, there was no descent of the baby and great pain instead. Other women with pubic pain have reported that arching the back during pushing was helpful too. Use the position your body tells you to!
3 comments:
Hi, I found you through BrightonWoman. I live in Maryland and have had 3 homebirths! Thankfully, I've never had PSD, but I've heard it can be horrible!
I hope some of the tips will help ease your pain these last few weeks.
Wow...great things via the internet. I'm glad you have such help when you are so far from home and family. Good luck sweetheart.
OUCH! Good luck with that!!! :o(
Maybe it will give you some extra time to sew those little shoes. JUST DON'T SPREAD YOUR LEGS while you're doing it!
Post a Comment