Wednesday, May 7, 2008

I've been summoned.

I've been an official adult for almost 10 years now. I have never before received a Jury summons, despite how fun and interesting I think it would be.

Never before, until today. Today, in the mail, I received a Jury summons.

And before you go jumping up and down with joy for me, seeing as how my desire is finally within grasp, please realize a few things:

1) I have a 1-month old.
2) Said 1-month old is breastfed exclusively- and will be for a minimum of 6 months.
3) Jurors can't bring babies, and don't get pumping breaks (not that I have a decent pump, anyway).
4) If a breastfeeding mother does not nurse or pump regularly, she is at risk for mastitis, an infection of the breast. Typical mastitis symptoms include a fever of 101.3°F or greater, chills, flu-like aching, malaise and systemic illness. NOT FUN. It usually requires antibiotics to cure.
5) Even if mastitis is avoided, there's still the problem of terribly uncomfortable and leaky breasts, and a huge risk of affecting the milk supply, which could definitely be problematic with a nursing infant.

And finally, the worst problem: The state of Maryland does not have any breastfeeding friendly laws in place for jurors. You can request to be excused, and it's pretty likely that you will be, but it's not guaranteed, by any means. It's solely at the discretion of the judge whether or not you will be excused, and if you are, how long it will be valid. Personally, I would like to see a law in place in every state that excuses breastfeeding mothers through their baby's first year. Preferably, I would like to see automatic excuse for up to 2 years (which is the AAP's and WHO's standard minimum recommendation for breastfeeding).

So wish me luck. Go ahead and say some prayers for me, too. I personally feel that it would almost disastrous to my own health and well being (and that of Alex's, of course!) at this point in time to serve on a jury, even for one day. Why didn't they call me a year ago? :( I would have loved to serve on a jury!!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I never want to serve on a jury.

As for getting out of it, just take the slip to your OB and ask them to fax it along with a note saying you are breast feeding a newborn.
I got my summons a month before I had Angel girl, and after she was born that's what I did.

If they send you another one while breast feeding just go back and do it again.

The Duckers said...

sorry about that. I'm sure it will work itself out. I'm sure Heavenly Father wouldn't send anything your way that you won't be able to handle in the long run! :o)
(but I totally understand the frustrated and stressed feeling)

Rogers said...

I'm kinda jealous!! (not about the breastfeeding a newborn thing) I, too, have always wanted to serve on a jury. Really bad timing, though!! Good luck with that :)

Ally said...

I don't mind the prospect of serving on a jury.

But good luck getting out of it this time, I'll be curious to know how it turns out for you.

Good luck!!

Anonymous said...

I've been excused a number of times because of breastfeeding a/or very small children at home. I think you'll be excused too.

The Duckers said...

I don't EVER want to do jury duty!! You all are crazy!

Jenni said...

Get a doctors note. They may not pay attention to a letter from you, but if they get a dr's note they should let you off without a hitch.
I got called up for a week before Bear was due. I asked my OB for a note, and he had a standard one he printed off for me and signed. It was no big deal--they do it all the time.

Emily said...

Just to belatedly add to the peanut gallery here: I was about to go to jury duty a couple of months ago but would have had to arrange for care for Z all day and thought I'd call to see what the rules are. In the city, mothers with non-school-aged children are excused from jury duty until the kids are officially school-aged (5). It would be nice if they'd take note of your kids' ages somehow, and not send you a summons, but they don't, and then you feel like you're supposed to be there even though it's 99% impossible...