Since I still haven't made it to the grocery store to re-stock my fridge and pantry after our move, we ended up having waffles and eggs for dinner tonight.
I cracked open 3 eggs, went to crack the fourth, and noticed it was significantly bigger than the others. I buy large eggs (and this particular batch was brown/organic/cage free/etc.), but this one was more of a jumbo. I shrugged my shoulders, cracked it open, straight into the pan, and HOLY MOLY!! It had TWO YOLKS!!
I squealed with delight. I had never even heard of such a thing. I looked it up later, and it is indeed a rare abnormality (although one person out there on the internets said she and her husband once got a full dozen that all had double yolks!). And they say that if you find an egg with two yolks, it's a sign of good luck.
If only it had been a lotto ticket, I tell ya!
(As an aside, I read that two yolks will only turn into a successful hatching with human intervention - because otherwise, the chicks will fight each other and both die. Yikes!)
1 comment:
We used to see double-yolks quite often when I was a youth. It's kinda fun, eh?? ;-D
I don't see them too much these days, but I happened to find one a few months back, in fact.
I hope it will bring you good luck!
Post a Comment