Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Sounds of Summer

One thing I complained heavily about Maryland for the first few years we lived here was the summer weather. Oh, how I hated it! Too hot, way too humid, and the nights never cooled off enough to make opening the windows at night actually refreshing. But you know... the longer we stay here, the more I find things I like.

For instance, the sounds we hear during the summer time. I wanted to share them, so I took two videos. The visual isn't the draw, here, so feel free to close your eyes and just listen. Turn up your speakers if you need to.

First: Nighttime crickets and frogs. A true symphony. In Colorado, you'll often have crickets, but they never seem to blend together this well, and just become one of those annoying noises, not unlike the persistent dripping of a faucet. But the crickets (and frogs) here in Maryland just become the most beautiful white noise.



Second: Daytime cicadas (sick-AY-duh). I had never even heard of these before moving to the east. And soon after we moved here, we discovered we were just in time for one of the rare "13 year" breeds, coinciding with the arrival of the "7 year" breeds, and it was truly an infestation. It was absolutely deafening in some places, and every tree was covered in the little beetles. In normal summers, though, while the cicadas are loud, they aren't overwhelming. Their high-pitched drone fades in and out, and it actually feels fairly relaxing to listen to them. Kind of like the crickets, in their own way.



I just really find myself appreciating the two different symphonies that nature provides - one for the day, one for the night. I think I'll really miss it, someday.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

what an amazing idea for a blog. I truly enjoyed that. The frog and cricket one had me stumped at first. I was trying to separate the different sounds when all of a sudden the crickets jumped in. Then I realized that the first part only had frogs. It was so cool.

Becky N. said...

I'm glad you enjoyed it. Although, and I know it's hard to tell over the computer, there were more than just frogs in the beginning first one. There were a whole lot of each, so they all just blended together. The cricket you heard after a while was one hanging out on my porch, close to me and my camera, so it was more distinct than the rest.

The Duckers said...

I'm pretty dang sure we have cicadas here. Unless I'm remembering New Orleans, but still I here that noise here all the time. But not in the trees. Hmmm....

Ally said...

Very interesting. :-)