Randomness #1: I know a few of you are wondering what our new place looks like. I was going to hold off on that until everything looked GREAT, maybe even PERFECT, but hey, let's face reality: This is me here. It probably won't be perfect, ever, and if it is, it won't be for many many months. I can't keep you all waiting that long!! So, un-perfect as it is, here's the new place. Please note that it was very nearly spotless before playgroup at our house this morning (at least, everywhere except for my bedroom and the master bathroom), but I didn't have time to make a video then. So this is it in it's partial playgroup aftermath. And, uh, yeah. Still no curtains for the sliding door. I keep thinking I'll just make them (especially because then I could make nifty matching pillows on the couch!!), but it's a traverse rod, and I have absolutely no experience with how they work, and not much time to really sit down and figure it out with online tutorials. I think we'll be doing some shopping tomorrow, and either buy something pre-made, or at least give myself a physical reference point to look at. Anyway, here's the new place.
Randomness #2: Tropical Storm Hanna is coming tomorrow! We're not worried at all. It'll just be some rain and wind, I'm sure - an extended strong storm, and we love those in this family! When we first moved to Maryland, we had an apartment that was ground level - half sunk into the ground. The A/C unit was at ground level. When there was a hurricane (thought it was a tropical storm by that point)- during our first month there, mind you - it dropped a lot of rain and flooded the well beneath the A/C, and the water came in and flooded our master bedroom's closet. Not fun. But we're on a 2nd floor, now, so no worries. I suppose there's the possibility of losing power for a while, but hey - good thing I have a lot of books in "queue" to read, huh? :)
Randomness #3: Things you learn at a ward party:
- If you stick a big sister with a balloon in front of an eager 5-month old baby, said baby will do everything within his power to lick the balloon to death.
- If a grabby baby is anywhere near a paper plate and plastic fork, he will reach it. And you will not be fast enough to catch what falls. Take precautions.
- Balloons that float to the top of the church's gymnasium will often catch on the corner of a lighting fixture and pop dramatically.
- Said balloon-popping will easily cause all three of your children to jump and turn stiffly towards the sound at the exact same moment.
- When doing a ward talent show, interviewing participants beforehand in a video format, with the pretense of being stuffy famous people, is a fantastic recipe for good laughs.
- Loose tablecloths, plates full of sloppy joes and other food, and 5 grabby kids at one table is a disaster waiting to happen. Find reusable adhesive tablecloths, and put stock in them.
- If you make a bet at how many balloons will be at the top of the ceiling at the end of the evening, guess on the very high side, or you'll be dead wrong.
- You can never have too much dessert at a potluck. Seriously.
- 6:30pm dinner time, + normal bedtime of 7:30pm, + 3 tired, hungry kids =/= happy ending (that's does not equal, for those of you not in the mathematical know-how, or who are otherwise confused by my makeshift text symbol).
First video- Melinda being her normal, crazy self, taking it upon herself to entertain Alex while I made dinner. She is so over-the-top, but so far, both younger brothers just love that about her. Most of the time. ;)
Randomness #5: I almost forgot! We finally got a WiiFit. Yay! We were at a church playgroup when Serena called up a store (Shhhh, don't tell!... I think she's been stalking them!!!) and found out they finally had some in stock. I told her how eager we were to get one, too, and that we couldn't find any, and she offered to get one for us. When I got back in touch with her later in the day, she had to tell me that they wouldn't let her buy more than one. Which, I guess, I should have anticipated, with how hard they are to come by. BUT, as soon as Jesse walked in the door, he called up and found out there were still some in stock, and ran back out to get one. So, we have yet another new toy to play with. I've tried a few of the little activities, and the balance games are interesting, and the yoga poses - holyohmygoodness, even the basic positions are painful. There's a jogging game, too, but I find it rather awkward to run in place. I think I'd be better off with jumping jacks or something that's meant to be done in place. Maybe something like that might be one of the unlockable games. And yes, I know this game alone won't get me in shape. Don't worry, I'm not expecting it. Still, it's fun to have a game that might actually be good for your body, huh? And it can track my progress for me, too. Which will either be fun to watch, or at least a very good kick-in-the-pants for how much more serious I need to get.
7 comments:
Nope, you never can have too much dessert. It's hard to get too much pasta too, in my ever so humble opinion. :)
Is that the IKEA leather couch? I so toatally own those!!!!
I didn't read the rest because I'm starting to feel that weird car sickness kind of feeling.
SOORY!
Melissa, yes it is. We were totally going to buy cheap couches, but couldn't resist the draw of a nice comfy, affordable & easy to care for leather couch! Too bad Jesse couldn't be convinced to go for the matching love seat. Although I do have to say, it's nice to have extra space by having less furniture - it's just a bit trickier with company.
So...where to begin. I was so happy to see your apartment. The only confusion came when you left the 'main' bath and ended up in your room. Does it have a passage way? I like the place. I'd love to hear more about the weather when Hanna reaches you. The ward party sounded interesting. The videos were great...and litte Alex is so cute. You can tell he loves his family. I think you mentioned before that you had a Wii, didn't you. Anyway thanks for all the randomness.
Yeah, mom, the bathrooms confused me for a while, too. Kept getting turned around. But basically, there's an L-shaped path through the bathrooms, starting at the hall, walking straight through to the shower, turning right, walking straight through the short part of the master bath, through the door into the master bedroom. The master bathroom's door and the bedroom door are on the same wall. If that makes any sense.
Hi Erika! Yes, that is where we moved. Not all that far from the old place, but it's so nice to have extra space.
FYI, I'm deleting your question, just to make it harder for strangers to try and stalk me. ;)
Post a Comment