Monday, November 3, 2008

Election 2008

I grew up in a Republican household.  I married into another one.  I voted Republican eagerly, early in my eligible years.  But I've found my political leanings changing little by little as time goes on, to the point where I now consider myself Independent.  I voted both Democratic and Republican during our last local election.  I've learned to look more at the issues than the party affiliation. 

I've been very on-the-fence for this Presidential Election.  Only one candidate really caught my excitement, and that was Ron Paul, who I voted for in the primaries, but- not surprisingly- isn't on the final ballot.  So I've been watching the debates, reading the websites, listening to the opinions and discussions of good friends, and trying to figure out which way I want to go this year.  I've had a really hard time deciding.  There's enough I don't agree with in each major Presidential candidate's platform that I've remained undecided for this entire time (yes, the undecided do exist!!).  And of course, living in a true-blue democratic state, half the time I haven't felt like I really need to figure out where I stand, because it is absolutely doubtless that Maryland's electoral votes will go towards Obama no matter what I choose.

But, tomorrow is the election, and a choice has to be made.  I believe in doing my civic duty of voting, whether or not I think it really matters or will make an impact. 

And I decided that I'm voting 3rd party.  I'm very tired of a two-party system in this country.  There isn't enough variance, and I'm more than a little disgusted at how the two major parties essentially force the alternate parties (Green, Libertarian, Constitution, etc.) out of the spotlight, leaving them absolutely no chance because they simply don't have the millions of dollars to back up their campaigns. And beside that point, I really agree with so much more of the alternate party platforms and ideologies than I do with either major political party.  Watching the 3rd Party Presidential Debates was particularly eye-opening.  I get excited about what they have to say, and think they could do our country a lot of good with the changes they would make.  I wish they had a better chance.  Any one of them.

It was interesting to have this article shared with me today, discussing the problem with the way a majority of my religion votes.  Elder Marlin K. Jensen, of the First Quorum of the Seventy, was "designated by church officials to respond to The Salt Lake Tribune's request for an interview on the topic of partisan imbalance in Utah and among LDS members."

It was a long article, but I wanted to share just a few quotes, in case you don't want to read the whole thing:
In an hourlong interview at the church's worldwide headquarters in downtown Salt Lake City arranged and overseen by LDS media-relations director Mike Otterson, Jensen discussed leaders' views about the seeming demise of two-party politics among members. Among the concerns he aired:-- The LDS Church's reputation as a one-party monolith is damaging in the long run because of the seesaw fortunes of the national political parties.

-- The overwhelming Republican bent of LDS members in Utah and the Intermountain West undermines the checks-and-balances principle of democratic government.

-- Any notion that it is impossible to be a Democrat and a good Mormon is wrongheaded and should be "obliterated."

-- Faithful LDS members have a moral obligation to actively participate in politics and civic affairs, a duty many have neglected.
~~~~~~~~
"There is sort of a division along Mormon/non-Mormon, Republican/Democratic lines," says Elder Marlin Jensen, a member of the First Quorum of the Seventy. "We regret that more than anything -- that there would become a church party and a non-church party. That would be the last thing that we would want to have happen."

Jensen said major national political parties may take stands that do not coincide with teachings of the 10 million-member Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, but that should not put them out of bounds for members.
~~~~~~~~
"Everyone who is a good Latter-day Saint is going to have to pick and choose a little bit regardless of the party that they're in and that may be required a lot more in the future than it has been in the past. But I think there's room for that and the gospel leaves us lots of latitude."

This article is from 1998.  Ten years ago!  I haven't seen any sort of shift, personally, of how people tend to vote within church membership.  And even though I had never read this article before, at least I see a shift in the way I think about politics.  That's a start.  At least, I like to think I'm more open-minded than I was 10 years ago!

And of course, just as I'm deciding how I'll vote this year, a letter from the First Presidency was read in Sacrament meeting, as is typical for the time just before an election (emphasis mine), reaffirming the political neutrality of the Church:
As citizens we have the privilege and duty of electing office holders and influencing public policy. Participation in the political process affects our communities and nation today and in the future.
Latter-day Saints as citizens are to seek out and then uphold leaders who will act with integrity and are wise, good, and honest. Principles compatible with the gospel may be found in various political parties.

Therefore, in this election year, we urge you to register to vote, to study the issues and candidates carefully and prayerfully, and then to vote for and actively support those you believe will most nearly carry out your ideas of good government.

Anyway... I just wanted to share.  I thought it was all very interesting.  I'm just finding that there are so many different issues out there, and no one party can cover them all the way I think they should.  Nor do I think that it would benefit the country to be imbalanced in the favor of one party.  There needs to be a bigger variety of representation out there.  I hope that someday, the two-party system of the United States will expand and allow a greater representation of alternate parties.

And of course, don't forget to get out and vote tomorrow, however you feel is best! 

No comments: