Thursday, November 13, 2008

Home Again

Ugh.  I had just about finished typing a post about getting home from Washington, when the electricity flickered for some unexplained reason (it's only foggy outside??), and my computer rebooted.  I thought that Blogger would automatically save my post and it would still be at least mostly here when I got back, but it wasn't.  I don't have time to re-type it now.  I'll get around to it later.  When I'm not annoyed at having to repeat myself.  When I do, I'll edit this post instead of posting a new one. 

For now, I'll just say what I opened with before.  While sitting on the airplane yesterday on the way home, I realized that I honestly didn't care where my home is.  Not as long as Jesse is there when I get to it.  That moment was the first time in my life I've actually felt the truth in the phrase, "Home is where the heart is".  Previously, I've associated home with location, and returning to the location of my home is what felt like a homecoming.  But yesterday, after being away from my family for 5 days, I was eager (desperate?) to be with them again.  And so, as I talked softly into Alex's ear, trying to keep him entertained and happy the whole trip home, and I said, "In just a few minutes, we'll be home, and we'll get to see Melinda and Jacob and Daddy again!  Aren't you so glad to go home?"  And it just hit me.  That's what home is.  The place you want to be at the end of the day, with people you love and share your life with.

See?  Wasn't "vacation" good for me?  I needed a break, and I got.  Now, back to life, and feeling grateful for it, struggles and all. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

very nice to have had you, better though...to know you are happy going back. love you much

Anonymous said...

I had the same realization on the way home from my trip last month. It was nice.

Ally said...

That was really nice. :-)

I quite agree.

And, as Dorothy says in the Wizard of Oz, 'Home is the nicest word there is.'

:-)