- 14 pieces (8 oz.) manicotti, uncooked
- 1 ¼ cups (10 oz. pkg.) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
- 2 cups (8 oz.) shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 ¾ cups (15 oz.) ricotta or low fat cottage cheese
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- 3 cups (about 26 oz. jar) spaghetti sauce, divided
Cook pasta according to package directions; drain. Cool in single layer on foil. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, stir together spinach, 1 ½ cups mozzarella cheese, ricotta cheese, Parmesan cheese, egg, garlic powder and pepper. Spoon about 3 T. filling into each pasta tube. Heat oven to 375º. In a 13x9 in. baking dish, spread ½ cup spaghetti sauce. Arrange filled past tubes in single layer in pan. Pour remaining sauce over top; cover with foil. Bake 40 minutes. Remove foil, sprinkle with remaining ½ cup mozzarella cheese. Bake 5 to 10 minutes or until cheese is melted and sauce is hot and bubbly.
Becky's notes:
I love the flavor of this recipe, but I have found the time it takes to spoon-fill each manicotti tube to be unreasonably long (as much as I love serving the individual tubes!), and also difficult to not break the tubes in the process. So I have adapted the recipe somewhat, and turned it into lasagna. I buy lasagna noodles instead of manicotti, and make a layered dish. I usually end up using 9 lasagna noodles: 1 layer of spaghetti sauce on bottom, 3 noodles, a thin layer of cheesy spinach filling; 3 noodles, more filling, 3 more noodles, more sauce on top. I also use more spaghetti sauce than the 26 oz. jar this way, but Jesse, at least, likes it better with more sauce. One thing we haven't tried yet, but probably will soon, is some browned/crumbled italian sausage in with the filling.
2 comments:
Sounds yummy!!! I might just try this soon. It's time to make menus again, and I think this will go on the list :)
Have you tried 'squirting the filling in the manacotti noodles? Using a ziplock bag with a hole cut in the corner, twist the bag and squeeze out the filling? I've used it on other recipes, but don't know if this filling is too chunky. Just an idea.
Oh, I don't think I ever commented on your booties and blanket - Oh, so cute!!! You are really good. I got a sewing machine 2 Christmases ago, but have yet to use it. When I was YW Pres., my girls used it to make Pray Bears, and I think Mom used it once, but I personally used it yet. SO SAD!!!!! I have so many things I want to do with it, and just enough nerves to keep putting it off. Hopefully I can get over that hurdle soon :)
Jacy
No, I haven't tried any squirt-filling method yet. A ziploc or pastry bag might work, depending on how large you make the hole. I have often thought that the Pampered Chef "Easy Accent Decorator" type of filling squirter might work well, but I'm not sure. It is a pretty chunky/thick filling.
I hope you get to use your sewing machine before long! That way you can at least find out if you enjoy it or not! :)
Post a Comment