Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Coming Full Circle

As I prepared to write this post, I realized a happy thing: My blog has come full circle.

The very first post I ever put up on my blog, weeks before I told anyone I was, in fact, starting to keep a blog, I posted about our first snow.

And here we are again: Our first snow of the year.

Now, of course, there are some major differences. One, there wasn't so much snow that we could run out and make snow angels. Two, this first snow is a few weeks earlier than last year's first snow. Three, I'm a terrible mommy and don't even know where my children's mittens and snow hats are, exactly, and the winter coats still need to be washed from last winter. Ugh.

They were all excited to see the snow. Even Jesse came home, giddy as a school child, about the snow he got to see during the day. But he also predictably complained that it wasn't a snowstorm. I know, dear, I thought, we don't live in Colorado right now. We can't expect snowstorms in November. I did let Melinda and Jacob venture outside on the porch to play in the snowflakes, but I'm afraid that was as much energy as I could summon for the event. Otherwise, I happily watched from the warm front room. And just to show how not energetic I've been for the past week... this snow happened on Friday. And it's now Tuesday night. I didn't want to put the effort into plugging in my camera, uploading my pictures to the computer, and then typing a really easy post. Wow, that sounds sad.

Jacob was just too funny... he kept grabbing Alex by the cheeks, and exclaiming, "It's SNOW, Alex, Look, it's SNOW!!!" Over and over and over. Melinda was practically bouncing off the walls, just thrilled with it all. (How did she know that snow would start in November, anyway??) And after they had finished playing outside (the snow finally stopped, and it didn't stick around on the porch long enough to be much fun, either), they came inside and warmed their hands with rice socks that I had thrown in the microwave for them.

And so there you have it. I haven't been blogging for quite a full year, but I've gone from one first snow of the winter season to the next first snow of the new season. It's all quite perfect timing, really, because I've been putting together my blog in book form through blurb.com, and I really wanted to sort of wrap it up in a meaningful way. What better way than coming full circle?

Here's to another magical and adventurous winter, spring, summer and fall ahead of me!

1 comment:

The Duckers said...

We've had 2 snows already. One was the beginning of October, but we are just SHOCKED that it's the end of November and NOTHING has been sticking around. Not usual for Idaho. I think when winter hits, it's going to hit COLD AND HARD! But, I am thankful for the break of snow. (since I wasn't ready for summer to be over)